Custom Cup Holder - '90

technoweenie

Or, here's another option in case you're not very crafty.........go on eBay to: "Reatta cup holder"

I bought the '89 model last year. It is FABULOUS. Fits perfectly, looks great with my saddle interior, and is stable as a rock.

Just thought I should pass it along,

Guest my3buicks

Agree with Bob, they are great, had one for my 88 and the other style for my 90. The natural looked great with the tan interior and i bought the unfinished for the 90 and did it in a dark cherry to match the dark red seats.

I was waiting for an opportunity to bring this up.

I recently purchased one of these cup holders listed on Ebay for my '90.

As mentioned above in post #3, this cup holder is just freak'n great!

Looking at the pics don't do it justice. I'm still marveling at the ingenious nature with which this device was crafted.

I just can't say enough good about it!

John F.

Guest 88reattacoupe

I'd like to thank , Keith, Bob, and John, for their positive comments about my cup holders. I started making them with three things in mind. #1 they had to look good. #2 they had to be strong. and, They had to work well. Also had in mind to make them simple. Because, I hoped to sell them. Everthing I thought of as improvements also added to the work I would have to do on each one. So I kept it simple. Its gratifying to hear and read comments about something I've made. Some of the feedbacks on ebay have been just freak'n great. First time I"ve ever used (freak'n) in a message. Again, I'd like to thank all of those who have purchased and/or mentioned ,with such freak'n kind words, my cup holders. Its freak'n making me feel freak'n powerfull to use this freak'n word. Thanks again Bob

I purchased one for my 1989 Riviera (quite sure it will fit other 7th generation Riviera's but not sure) I elected to go with the finished one instead of bare wood ($10.00 more)

The guy who makes these things is a master craftsman with wood work. I highly recommend them.

Charlie

Glad this was brought up. I remember seeing these here a long time ago, but had escaped my attention since then. I need cupholders for both my 88's and my 91 coupe; I recovered a 90 armrest sans cupholder in flame red as the original was shot. The factory 91 cupholder is rather substandard anyway, IMHO. I'd sketched out a couple of ideas to make some of my own but I am tiring of always reinventing the wheel. Think I'll try a couple of these.

KDirk

I'd like to thank , Keith, Bob, and John, for their positive comments about my cup holders. I started making them with three things in mind. #1 they had to look good. #2 they had to be strong. and, They had to work well. Also had in mind to make them simple. Because, I hoped to sell them. Everthing I thought of as improvements also added to the work I would have to do on each one. So I kept it simple. Its gratifying to hear and read comments about something I've made. Some of the feedbacks on ebay have been just freak'n great. First time I"ve ever used (freak'n) in a message. Again, I'd like to thank all of those who have purchased and/or mentioned ,with such freak'n kind words, my cup holders. Its freak'n making me feel freak'n powerfull to use this freak'n word.

Thanks again Bob

You, Sir, are freak'n welcome!

I've shown off your talents to all of my Reatta buddies and told them how they can get one. Sure hope you continue to build them and sell 'em by the truckload.

Since I drive my '89 almost daily, I use that little gem almost daily. It's freak'n terrific!!

Glad this was brought up. I remember seeing these here a long time ago, but had escaped my attention since then. I need cupholders for both my 88's and my 91 coupe; I recovered a 90 armrest sans cupholder in flame red as the original was shot. The factory 91 cupholder is rather substandard anyway, IMHO. I'd sketched out a couple of ideas to make some of my own but I am tiring of always reinventing the wheel. Think I'll try a couple of these.

KDirk

I have a '91 vert and, IMHO, I think the factory cup holder is an el cheapo joke. Whoever designed that dud should be ashamed of himself.

Guest my3buicks

I added a rubber cubholder insert from another car and use the passenger side of the cupholder to hold some change, my cell ohone etc.

Bob,

I was being charitable in my description of the 91 cupholder. It was, in fact, an afterthought that was hastily added to the 1990 style console arm rest. Better than nothing, but certainly not fitting of a personal luxury coupe with the (new) price tag of a Reatta. It is begging to be improved upon. I have some ideas that would be better integrated (retractable) but require extensive modification and fab work to do. Thus, no real progress has been made on my conceptual cupholder design.

The custome made ones linked above are a very good solution as I see it. Ready to install, no engineering or buildout required. I know I can't do better for $60 anyway.

KDirk

Guest PontiacDude210

I have a Riviera cup holder armrest, I believe it's the 91style, and it is ok, but awkward to use and rather subpar compared to some of the ingenious designs I see here.

It snaps out from beneath. Easiest to do this by removing the center console trim bezel. Two screws at rearmost edge, four press-snap clips - two in front of shifter, two at back alongside coin holder - and then two more scews up front in the chrome trim piece.

This is also a good time to clean the trim (especially between the layers, catches a lot of dust, dirt and scum if you have ever spilled on it).

KDirk

Another way in is through the armrest. Pull out the fuzz coated well and expose the area underneath the coin holder.

I was able to reach up under it and wiggle/squeeze the coin holder until it came free.

John F.

PS.

For those who choose to use the Freak'n cool cup holder, you may want to place a small towel, some other cloth or paper towel under the holder to catch the condensate that drips from cold drinks in the humid summer weather.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)