Proving Dreams Can Come True

Steve Moskowitz

Excuse me for being excited but I thought I would share the latest car to occupy my garage. It may be ugly to some, may not be your cup of tea but it was exactly what I was looking for!

I have been a open wheel race fan in particular for most of my life and was lucky enough to have some special years at Indy when Olds was running the IRL series. I got to do a lot of things few people in the world have ever done and met some great people in the meantime. It fostered even a greater desire to own my own Olds based race car but one with a history. I could make this a long story but it might bore you so all I will say is I have now crossed another car off my bucket list.

The car you see here is a 41 Olds shortened 18" and fitted later on with a 303 Olds V-8 and a 63 Corvette 4 speed. The car won many hill climbs and participated in SCCA races in the 60's. It has been campaigned in vintage racing for the last couple of decades. I have had the incredible pleasure of speaking with the driver that won most of those races.

I plan on showing as a Do Not Judge at Hershey this year in the new Class 24D and also running it on the track on Friday. Hopefully with the driver I mentioned above at the wheel. I think he deserves the honor.

post-30866-143142685615_thumb.jpg

post-30866-143142685625_thumb.jpg

post-30866-14314268563_thumb.jpg

WOW !

Great Car-

My first modified was a '32 Chevy 5-window coupe powered by an Olds 303 pushing a LaSalle tranny

Congratulations - looking forward to seeing it on Friday, and again on Saturday at Hershey Meet.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Steve,

That's a nice looking car. Is it one of a kind, or were a limited number produced for racing. It looks a bit like the old Lotus 7 ... is it similar in size/weight? I'm guessing that with the big Olds V-8, your car would be somewhat heavier, but maybe not significantly so.

It appears that you have a trio of Stromberg 97 carburetors on the Olds, and they were definitely the hot set up "back in the day". The 97s were very touchy when it came to fuel inlet pressure, with most folks recommending a maximum fuel pressure of 2.5 - 3 psi (some recommend a max pressure of 2.5 psi). It looks like you have a Holley fuel pressure regulator with a gauge attached directly to one of the two regulator outlet ports. I just purchased one of these Holley regulators myself since my old "dial type" regulator failed, dumping raw gasoline all over the top of my small block Chevy (luckily my MkI Nose-ometer detected the leak). Judging by the fuel stains on your Olds' intake manifold and carburetor tops, there has already been some fuel leakage. As with any of these setups, watch it like a hawk for fuel leaks.

Cheers,

Grog

Grog, yes it is one of a kind and does resemble a lotus 7. The front end came off a Crosley, seats were made by using a barrel. I suspect it is heavier than a Lotus. A "home built job" for sure but it is just a raw hill climb car for the most part and beat much stiffer competition back in the day. It might have been the skill of the driver in addition but it beat some serious competition including a Cobra.

Thanks for the tip on the 97's. I have not noticed any fuel leaks so far. This car really has me excited...it may be more car than I can handle but maybe I will not be the first guy kicked out of a racing school for being too slow! :)