Need help identifying 1925 Studebaker

Guest Seroj

Hi everyone, I just picked up a 1925 Studebaker last weekend and I've found my way to this great site. I restore old motorcycle, but I don't know much about old cars. I've been trying to figure out the story of this car. The guy I got it from had very little information. He told me it was a 1925 Roadster.

I haven't found an ID plate on the frame or body (checked the left frame rail behind the wheel). I do know the motor number is ER343556 which I found to be a 1925/26 (ER) Standard Six 241 ER-202,501.

The guy who had it told me that years ago he contacted the Studebaker museum and described the car, and a fellow there got excited thinking it might have been one of a handful of cars they produced to run at the track for 100,000 miles. According to him it has some peculiar features including: rear "racing" shocks, the bumped out sides of the body, and who knows what else.

I've looked at a bunch of Studebaker pictures and the body of the car (except the rear fenders and gas tank) doesn't seem to look like the others. I'm wondering if a different body was put on it.

It's got the old wooden wheels which are still nice and solid. Also has some old tires and such that are shot. The drivetrain is complete and the motor turns. Which makes me think it could run with a bit of work.

If you could shed any light on what model this is, I would sure appreciate it.

I've uploaded a bunch of pictures on photobucket:

http://s129.photobucket.com/user/seroj1/library/1925%20Studebaker

Thanks!

Seroj

post-102583-143142685136_thumb.jpg

The chassis is from the 1925-26 Model ER Standard Six (as you had surmised). The model run for this series was from August 1924 thru August 1926 with only a few minor changes during that two year period. The body is not original to the chassis and is earlier, likely early '20s. May be Studebaker, maybe not but definitely did not come on that chassis. Incidentally the model ER was never used for any kind of factory sponsored racing or endurance in that period.

Believe the body is from a 1922-24 Light Six. See image below. Note especially the instrument panel and how the gauges match up with the holes in your panel. I am satisfied that the body is the Light Six. Now was the later Standard Six ER engine put in the 22-24 chassis or was the body of the 22-24 put on the '25-'26 ER chassis? Note too the radiator shell is the ER.

post-30776-143142685664_thumb.jpg

I own a light six roadster. I think that the frame must be from the standard six because of the projections on the the front of the front springs and the rear of the rear springs. Those are not on my car. Also the tires in the photograph are 20 inch tires. The light six did not use 20 inch tires (though the wheels could have been changed when the body was changed).

You guys are great! Yeah, I'm betting it is a standard six chassis (1925-26) that has had a light six body put on at some point long ago. Another clue is that the trunk line does not exactly follow the rear fenders which I assume are standard six fenders. I have a couple hoods, but neither matches up correctly to the body and radiator (another clue).

I got the car in a package deal with a couple old motorcycles. Like I said before, I'm not an old car guy and will probably sell the car. Do you guys have any idea what a fair value might be? If anyone on this forum could use it, I'd be happy to pass it along. I'm located in KC.

Thanks again guys,

Seroj