Do I need another transmission?

Daves1940Buick56S

All:

My mechanic in VA got the rear end and trans out this week. Clutch is shot but I knew that. The slinger had come loose from the rivets and that explains the noise I was hearing at low RPM. But the current problem is a fair amount of rust and pitting of the gears. Pix attached. What say you all - let it go or try to find a replacement - or replacement gears? My guy recommends replacement or eventual replacement. Would rather do it now if I need to. This is for a 1940 56S.

Cheers, Dave

post-87161-143142685104_thumb.jpg

post-87161-143142685098_thumb.jpg

post-87161-143142685101_thumb.jpg

You have an interesting problem. I wonder how those gears got so bad. Looks like water damage.

However, the condition of the gears really isnt so critical - clearly not good, but you dont spend much time where engine power is going through the gears (1, 2 & reverse) most of the time you are in high and the gears arent doing much more than churning oil.

What I would be concerned about more is the condition of the input and output ball bearings and the bearing surface on the universal joint. They do have to be good.

I'd probably go ahead and run it - until I could either find good gears or a good transmission.

With the limited use your car will probably be getting, that transmission would probably only last 100 years.

Basically, I agree with Don;

The rust particles already in the gears will contaminate the oil which will shorten the life of the bearings etc...

If you can find a good replacement in a relatively short time, I would go ahead and replace it.

But then, I drive my cars more than most....

OK, some better pix attached. My mechanic is going to overhaul it with parts from Northwest. Getting another one is too much of a crapshoot at this point, at least with this one I know where we are. Probably replace the bearings, seals, and at least some of the gears.

On the new rear, side bearings shot but he can replace. The rest looks good. It may whine a bit at first but the reduced revs of the 3.4/1 will help extend the life of my engine.

Clutch was down to the rivets but no damage to flywheel. No oil on the clutch so it was just slipping due to wear. Do any of the replacement discs have the slinger plate? It appears to be an idea whose time came and went...

Transmission pix:

post-87161-143142686873_thumb.jpg

post-87161-143142686841_thumb.jpg

post-87161-143142686858_thumb.jpg