1936 Dodge Convertible Sedan

Guest dwurzel

Guest dwurzel

A friend recently bought a 1936 Dodge Convertible Sedan. It was restored about 10 years ago and is in beautiful condition. He told me it was running rough at speed, and wondered if I might know why. He knows nothing about cars. I am a tinkerer, but no expert. I have played with a 1931 Model A for the past 30 years. When I looked at the car, I found the plugs fouled and the automatic choke disconnected. Champion Y11C plugs are installed. Can anyone tell me what plugs should be used? Also, before I reattach the choke arm, I wondered if anyone might know why someone would disconnect it. Were there a lot of problems with these devices?

From the AutoLite website for 1936 Dodge:

306, resistor plug for cast iron head.

216, non-resistor for aluminum head.

295, non resistor for cast iron head.

I believe the OEM automatic choke was the thermostatic/electric Sisson choke, extremely reliable and simple to adjust. One can only guess why it was disconnected.

Someone disconnected the choke because they were too stupid to fix it right, or possibly too stupid to know whether it was working or not. Or maybe just stupid.

The difference in plugs is most likely to do with heat range. Aluminum disperses heat faster than iron, so might need a hotter plug.

Guest dwurzel

Remember the old adage that one should never attribute to cunning and planning what can easily be attributed to stupidity? Sounds appropriate to the choke situation. Thanks for the input.

I believe that the Sisson choke operates in three stages 1. setting the choke valve by pushing down the gas pedal once. That sets the butterfly at half closed along with the fast idle, by contracting the bimetal spring. 2. engage the starter, which by, an Electric charge from the starter terminal, closes the butterfly fully. 3. Release the starter & the current is cut off from the choke and the spring expands to open the butterfly as the engine warms up, eventually fully opening. If the choke does not fully open, then the engine will run too rich. The Sisson will need adjustment or replacement( if the spring is broken). Ron