Add on air condition

Guest hwess

I do not know them. however, can some type of modern AC be added to a 6 volt car? I have a 1954 Chrysler with a 6 cylinder. capt den

The car that pioneered all AC components under the hood of the car was the 1954 Pontiac. That car was a 6 volt car.

Chrysler had AC in 1954, and it was 6 volt. those systems are fairly rare and not easily rebuildable, nor desirable. very big and bulky, even taking up part of the trunk. the first under dash system was on a nash in 1954. nash also owned kelvinator. I think Pontiac tried to take the credit, but supposedly it belongs to nash. anyway, I would love a small add on for my car, just never heard of any one making one for 6 volt. may not be feasible. captden

You could run two six-volt batteries in series. One that runs all the original six-volt items, then the second could could run the alternator and a/c compressor. That's the way we have it set up on our 1940 Lincoln V-12 (the alternator is run off of the front belt of the compressor, down toward the lower passenger side).

post-33613-143142685781_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143142685788_thumb.jpg

Chrysler had AC in 1954, and it was 6 volt. those systems are fairly rare and not easily rebuildable, nor desirable. very big and bulky, even taking up part of the trunk. the first under dash system was on a nash in 1954. nash also owned kelvinator. I think Pontiac tried to take the credit, but supposedly it belongs to nash. anyway, I would love a small add on for my car, just never heard of any one making one for 6 volt. may not be feasible. captden

hello captden, well here's some education for you. the 1954 pontiac factory air conditioning was available as of december-1953, the 1954 nash's copy of pontiac's a/c wasn't available until late may/ early june-1954. i have a 1954 pontiac factory air conditioning that i'm putting into my 1953 pontiac dash, and changed the blower motor to a twelve volt 1955 nos delco a/c blower motor. the 1955 pontiac 287 strato-streak V8 engine my car has, came with the factory 12 volt A5 compressor. but getting back to your statement "i think pontiac tried to take credit", no, too many auto history book writers didn't do their homework, and gave the 1954 nash the credit. one thing that nash was first with, is the all in one controls for the heating and a/c. you can search the forum and find my posts regarding the 1954 pontiac verus the 1954 nash.

charles l coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

You could run two six-volt batteries in series. One that runs all the original six-volt items, then the second could could run the alternator and a/c compressor. That's the way we have it set up on our 1940 Lincoln V-12 (the alternator is run off of the front belt of the compressor, down toward the lower passenger side).

i didn't know that a battery runs an alternator, i thought the engine fan belt runs the alternator, and the alternator recharges the battery as needed. with two six volt batteries in series, one battery will provide the electrical needs of a six volt system, and BOTH batteries together will provide twelve volts for a modern aftermarket a/c unit, and the twelve volt alternator will recharge both batteries.

charles l coker

tech advisor coordinator

Anyone installed air condition in a car from Classic Air in Florida? Good or bad experience?

hi hwess, classic auto air in florida did build me a new replacement evaporator assembly for my 1954 pontiac factory air conditioning, and they did a real good job making it, copper tubing with aluminum fins. i would reconmend them as well as old air products in fort worth, texas.

charles l coker

tech advisor coordinator

i didn't know that a battery runs an alternator, i thought the engine fan belt runs the alternator, and the alternator recharges the battery as needed. with two six volt batteries in series, one battery will provide the electrical needs of a six volt system, and BOTH batteries together will provide twelve volts for a modern aftermarket a/c unit, and the twelve volt alternator will recharge both batteries.

charles l coker

tech advisor coordinator

My bad. Of course you are correct. I was typing too fast and didn't put brain in gear.

hello captden, well here's some education for you. the 1954 pontiac factory air conditioning was available as of december-1953, the 1954 nash's copy of pontiac's a/c wasn't available until late may/ early june-1954. i have a 1954 pontiac factory air conditioning that i'm putting into my 1953 pontiac dash, and changed the blower motor to a twelve volt 1955 nos delco a/c blower motor. the 1955 pontiac 287 strato-streak V8 engine my car has, came with the factory 12 volt A5 compressor. but getting back to your statement "i think pontiac tried to take credit", no, too many auto history book writers didn't do their homework, and gave the 1954 nash the credit. one thing that nash was first with, is the all in one controls for the heating and a/c. you can search the forum and find my posts regarding the 1954 pontiac verus the 1954 nash.

charles l coker

tech advisor coordinator

Thanks Charles!

did the early Pontiac system have all the ac components under the hood or did it still have part of the system in the trunk? I think the nash system was the first to have it all under the hood in front.i do not have a dog in this fight and will bow to your knowledge on the subject. sometimes historians do get things wrong, but after telling the same story for so many years it becomes the "truth". for example, the first true muscle car was the"fill in the blank".the GTO seems to be the most popular answer, but the 1957 rambler really fit the bill sooner. anyway, I probably will never get an aftermarket A/C unit for a 6 volt 1954 Chrysler. capt den

did the early Pontiac system have all the ac components under the hood or did it still have part of the system in the trunk? I think the nash system was the first to have it all under the hood in front.i do not have a dog in this fight and will bow to your knowledge on the subject. sometimes historians do get things wrong, but after telling the same story for so many years it becomes the "truth". for example, the first true muscle car was the"fill in the blank".the GTO seems to be the most popular answer, but the 1957 rambler really fit the bill sooner. anyway, I probably will never get an aftermarket A/C unit for a 6 volt 1954 Chrysler. capt den

Pontiac's first A/C (1954) all under the ft hood. Nothing in the trunk. The test bed for all GM cars.

GTO was a intentional purpose built muscle car to keep Pontiac in the # 3 sales slot after GM corporate pulled the division along with chevrolet out of racing in January 1963.

hi captden, pontiac never had any parts of the air conditioning in the trunk, that was cadillac, buick, oldsmobile, lincoln, chrysler, packard, and others. my own 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina will have both the 1954 pontiac factory up front, in dash a/c as well as having a 1955 buick factory trunk a/c unit.

charles l coker

tech advisor coordinator

hi captden, pontiac never had any parts of the air conditioning in the trunk, that was cadillac, buick, oldsmobile, lincoln, chrysler, packard, and others. my own 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina will have both the 1954 pontiac factory up front, in dash a/c as well as having a 1955 buick factory trunk a/c unit.

charles l coker

tech advisor coordinator

Hey Charles. Two evaporators?? What is the reason for that?

• 5 months later...

Charles, how will you plumb the two evaporators. Thermocouples shut down the compressor so the evaporator doesn't turn into a block of ice and not pass any air, so if one evaporator (most likely the front one first) goes below 32 degrees discharge temp, will it cut the compressor and will it mean the rear unit goes down as well? I was thinking with that much cooling hardware and refrigerant, will the condenser be over taxed and would the A5 compressor be running all the time??? I wish you lived closer to me, I would love to give you a hand putting this car together!

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

you bring up some good points, I was going to study how limo's were plumbed for having both a front and rear evaporator assemblies with separate controls, which is how my Pontiac will be, the under dash buick controls will operate independently from the Pontiac in dash controls. I used to have a gmc suburban that had dual air conditioning. I've seen on ebay recently, a seller offering in separate listings, a dual Chrysler a/c condensers, a second condenser was factory added to the regular condenser. lots of more researching and learning ahead.