1932 Pontiac - Frame Pitting - Just Fill?

32Pontiac6

The attached photos are from my '32 Pontiac that I am restoring. The top portion of the frame has pitting where the front of the body mounts. My guess is that this level of pitting is not unusual or 1932 GM cars because of the way the water would flow from a inadequately sealed from window. My feeling is that this pitting is not severe enough to remove or reinforce. The frame is rock solid with little or no rust except for these areas My feeling is that just filling in the pits for cosmetic reasons would be adequate. Some thoughts from those who have faced this problem, please. Is the pitting minor enough to just fill? If I fill, what would be the best material to fill the holes with?

post-47556-143142684963_thumb.jpg

post-47556-14314268493_thumb.jpg

If the pitting is minor and is hidden then I wouldn't bother with it. If it's bad enough to compromise the strength of the metal the affected section should be replaced or welded up and ground down. If just for aesthetics, pits can be filled with regular body filler, sanded and painted. Judging from the photos I don't think you have anything to worry about structurally.

If the pitting is minor and is hidden then I wouldn't bother with it. If it's bad enough to compromise the strength of the metal the affected section should be replaced or welded up and ground down. If just for aesthetics, pits can be filled with regular body filler, sanded and painted. Judging from the photos I don't think you have anything to worry about structurally.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Guest counterpoint

Looks to be ok to me. I use a filler with short strand fiberglass or an All-Metal filler. Its much stronger and less chance of it cracking as the frame twists. The all-metal filler is tough to sand, so be prepared.

also another fix,if you have access to a wire feed welder you can use celica bronze to weld up the pits,grinds easier than steel

hell you can easily hand file it,ill have to check my bottles but I believe you have to use helium instead of mixed gas,would be a lot stronger than filler and would last another 80 years, dave

That pitting is in the top flange, which is a compression flange most of the time as the chassis sags between the front and rear axles. It would fail by buckling but is restrained by the body mounted on top. You might like to smooth it (good filler) to prevent water ponding in it later, unless your body mounting pads will fill the pits as they are compressed by the hold-down bolt.

That pitting is in the top flange, which is a compression flange most of the time as the chassis sags between the front and rear axles. It would fail by buckling but is restrained by the body mounted on top. You might like to smooth it (good filler) to prevent water ponding in it later, unless your body mounting pads will fill the pits as they are compressed by the hold-down bolt.

Part of my reasoning for not worrying was the top flange being in compression. But I did not think about the buckling aspect and the fact that the body does act to restrain it at the bolting points. Good catch.

They used to take frames like that an cut big lightening holes in them for racing. Some of these race cars are still intact after years of hard, fast driving on dirt tracks and all kinds of racing. So, the metal removed by rust is not critical in your case.

Another point I had not thought of!