Any issues ordering from Cars, Inc. in NJ?

Guest mdr131

Guest mdr131

Has anyone had any issues ordering from Cars, Inc.? I ordered items--and my credit card was charged--on July 10th and still haven't received them. I have inquired twice as to the status of my order, and both times was told that they are waiting for one item from their supplier. It's been almost six weeks...and personally I find that long of a wait to be beyond reasonable. I know that they are an ROA member dealer...which is why I ordered from them. But, apparently they have horrible customer service. Anyone else had any problems with them?

Except for some parts, CARS, Inc. is a distributor for other manufacturers. If they're back ordered from their supplier, there's nothing they can do about it. I've had some window felts on back order since last May (not with CARS, but a similar situation) and my card has also been run for the full amount. I'm sure that as soon as CARS receives the parts from the manufacturer, they'll forward them to you. Have you ask for a refund for the back ordered parts and tried to purchase them elsewhere? If not, that could be a solution if you're in a hurry for the parts. Chances are, if one distributor is back ordered, they'll all be back ordered.

I'm not trying to make excuses for ayone, but sometimes that's just the way s**t happens.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest CARS, Inc.

mdr131,

Please give me a call. I will look into your order. Sometimes we do have availability issues from our suppliers.

Ask for me specifically.

Thanks

Jeff @ CARS, Inc.

(908) 369-3666

Guest Im4darush

No issues with my last order, but I will say that when I order with OPGI, the back ordered items are charged to my card only when they are ready to ship.

Never had any issues with Cars, but the industry standard on backorders is to ship what you do have in stock, then ship the backordered parts when they are available. As for billing,

usually you have to request that your card not get charged for the backordered parts until the backordered parts are shipped . I always order on the phone if I know I don't want to be billed ahead of time

for backorders, as usually on the phone they will tell you which parts are on backorder, and then I tell the salesperson that I don't want to pay for the backorders yet. If you order online, most companies

just charge your card for everything, including the backorders right away.

They've always been good with me; if, however, you need something really fast, I find it's better to call and speak to someone to make sure it's in stock. I ordered something on line, then when time was ticking, I called, only to find it was backordered. It was only a decal, and was in my mailbox the next day.

Guest clamshells

I have placed several orders and received my items promptly. CARS has been solid. I also have a part on back order, I called Jeff and all is well, when they have my part it will be shipped. Give Jeff a call.

+1 to clamshells. I know the CARS sales staff can seem a little gruff at times but as a former NYer, that's Jersey! Once you get to know them it's all cool. Kevin has always been very responsive and efficient. Yes, some parts may not be OEM perfect, but like Ed said, they probably have to source from the same vendors. I appreciate it that Jeff keeps tabs on this site and it looks as if he's more than willing to make things good. I wish it were the same with some of the Jag vendors I deal with!

I have been dealing with CARS since sometime in the late 80s and have had no problems to speak of all through the years. I am grateful they are in business and they support the ROA national meets as a vendor. As seen above, Jeff from CARS comes on the forum which can be a lions den at times and I give him credit for that. Hopefully he will help straighten out the problem with mdr131

My general experience has been that the Buick Riviera parts business isn't a black and white cut and dried process free of errors or disappointments from the seller or buyers standpoint. Buick owners are tasked with a bigger challenge in securing correct parts vs the mainstream classics and sometimes gobs of patience is needed as well as being mentally prepared for the inevitable receiving a part that is not correct or delays getting it. You might be able to return a part but lose shipping cost or maybe the shipping cost and your time isn't worth the hassle of sending back so you suck it up. Just on my current restoration project alone I have lost decent money due to receiving wrong, inferior, or a part that would function but did not have the original look I wanted and I've been into Rivs for 30+ years. Most issues were with private vendors I had to deal with because none of my network of trusted sources had the parts I needed.

• 5 months later...
Never had any issues with Cars, but the industry standard on backorders is to ship what you do have in stock, then ship the backordered parts when they are available.

With the supplier I used to work for, we gave the customer the option of receiving partial shipment or holding the entire order until the backordered part came in. Either way was the customer's choice - not an automatic either this or that. Vendors might want to consider that - it lessens customer anxiety at least a little bit.