Metz data plate?

scudaria_motorsport

Hello Everyone. My first post here, I almost fell off my chair when I found AACA has a METZ forum, it's really great to see!

I have inherited one 1917 Metz my father started restoration on and one basketcase for parts (basically just a chassis and some sheet metal).

I would like to finish the 1917 (or at least get it running) and am trying to get it titled, but I could use some help finding the chassis #

The only plate I can find is screwed onto the drivers side firewall (reference attached). It's a Selden Patent plate.

Is this what METZ used as the data plate and is the number the serial number?

If not, where can I look for a chassis number?

Thanks in advance for all the help, I sure could use all I can get.

post-102411-143142684844_thumb.jpg

post-102411-143142684832_thumb.jpg

post-102411-143142684839_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good restoration project

Yes it is! I have many parts and a good head start on what is a mostly assembled (with big parts) car and the earlier parts car. There is a huge amount of info gathering and parts gathering I need to do. I'm going to need to spend time sorting out true Metz parts from other auto parts. Unfortunately my background paperwork is limited so I'll likely need some help during the restoration. Luckily they are relatively simple cars :)

My first goal is to get it running and driving, then worry about the coachwork. The chassis and wheels have been painted but the hood looks original with a nice patina, I might go for a "running restoration" or barn find type look instead of a pristine restoration.

Thanks for info on chassis number, it doesn't suprise me that the plate doesn't belong there, it didn't seem right, that was my old man's sense of humor. I'll check the engine and try to get a tag off that number.

How do you guys get them titled in the US when starting with a project and ending up with a "roadworthy" car ?

Edited by scudaria_motorsport (see edit history)

You will have a fun and frustrating project. But the outcome will be worth it. My 1915 Model 22 came with a title when i purchased it. So I am of no help there. I can provide you with a couple of things in assembly though. If the paper pulley needs to be rehabbed, there is a business in Tennessee, the Paper Pulley Company, that can do that for you. It is around a $250 cost. Also I found out that the distance between the drive plate and the pulley is to be no more than the width of a hack saw blade. That will get you the proper friction so your car will run uphill. I struggled with that for around 2 years. There are many more knowledgeable people than I who will provide the most valuable assistance you can get. They all pitched in when I had questions and concerns. Good luck and don't give up. You will have a ball with this car! :)