'57 Caballero, most expensive wagon ever ? !

Guest BigDogDaddy

What an amazing act of kindness and generosity for the organisation. Hard to do with such a beautiful car.

And even better it also now means that I can put my hand on my heart, look my beloved wife in the eye and truthfully say "darling we are not restoring the most expensive Buick in the world" :):rolleyes:

Cheers

Andrew

What an amazing act of kindness and generosity for the organisation. Hard to do with such a beautiful car.

And even better it also now means that I can put my hand on my heart, look my beloved wife in the eye and truthfully say "darling we are not restoring the most expensive Buick in the world" :):rolleyes:

Cheers

Andrew

Now that is funny, Andrew. Think she will believe you?

Ben

I'm glad the Caballero will benefit many and set a record, but since when was it, "positioned at the top of the Buick line..."? The top wagon ($3,706) and most costly of the Century range of models, yes, but certainly not the top of the line. I guess the writer of the catalog description never heard of Roadmasters ($3,944 - $4,066), or from March, 1957-on, the Roadmaster 75 ($4,373 - $4,483). At $3,981, even the Super Convertible Coupe cost more. Both versions of the '57 brochure depict Roadmasters on their covers.

I love Caballeros, but auction hyperbole is what it is, so pardon my venting.

TG

Mark,

I said I was happy for those who will benefit from the auction. I asked for your pardon for nit-picking. As Buick folks, we know about Centurys and Caballeros and Roadmasters but, for the untrained, statements like "top of the line" become Gospel once committed to print, especially when famous people are involved.

Though such a unique sale may or may not influence Caballero prices, I wonder how long it will take for a seller of a basket-case Cab with saplings growing through the floorboards to state...

"Just like the one that sold for $580,000 at auction". :confused:

TG

Everybody with a rusty, unrestored hulk of one in their barn or backyard will now think theirs is worth at least $75,000.

It's a nice gesture, but it means the available pool of reasonably priced ones will disappear.

Agreed.

Hmmm, let's see... Restored by Jay Leno's garage and signed by a US President AND for a worthy cause might have added to the bidding price, but not necessarily a reasonable benchmark for future sales prices on rusty hulks.

With that said, it is a great story. Somebody put their money where their mouth was AND for a great cause.

I'd buy restored Caballeros all day long for $30-$35K if they existed anymore. ;)

Averages around $90K are more the norm.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/default.aspx?carID=7268&i=8

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=FL11&ID=r151

Mecum Verde Classics Museum Collection – 2013 1957 Buick Caballero Wagon (Lot S46) – $89,000

TG

While it may be an outlier that doesn't stop the average Joe who has a car from asking for stupid money as a result of the publicity of this event. Then, if they advertise here, we have to keep our mouths shut as per policy that they are asking outlandish prices for a car.

Gotta love headline writers...it didn't sell for $580k. It sold twice, once for three hundred and once for two eighty. Granted it raised five eighty, but didn't sell for that.

Oh well. Neat car.

What's an outlier? We don't use words like that where I'm from. On second thought you guys take that back. That sounds plain unfriendly.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas Doo Dah

About 10 years ago, we started teaching about outliers to 7th graders. But when the Uncle (No Child Left Behind) gets his hands in what he thinks should be taught at what age, who knows what you might run into. They don't remember it now either.

Ed

Another thing to consider. If you went to school in Nickerson instead of Buhler, that would explain a lot. :rolleyes: LOL

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

An outlier is something that is not the normal or out of the ordinary. Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers was a fascinating read for me. Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods are examples of human outliers as they practiced so much, combined with natural talent, that they became exceedingly above average.

I hope that clarifies things.

Ed, after reading your response I realized once more how far back in the sticks I was growing up. I was an inmate in that institution at Nickerson, Kansas for four terrible long years. I was paroled in May of 1966 and headed off for Uncle Sam's Canoe Club three weeks later. I am truly surprised that there is anyone out there that knows anything about that infamous institution of supposed higher learning in the middle of nowhere, Kansas. That place makes Shawshank look like a Country Club.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas Doo Dah

Terry,

I served my hard four in Buhler and was released in '65, but had to do two more on probation as a Blue Dragon from '66 - '67. Next time I'm in town, we'll have to get together. Send me a PM with your phone number. I think that my wife and I are going to Hutch for the fair the first week-end that it's open.

Ed

My ex is from Lyons so I think we have that area triangulated.