GM Ignition recall

CBloomberg

I received a recall notice for my 08 Lucerne. I wish they would let an engineer write the letter instead of a lawyer. Lawyers can use more words to say less than anybody. I would like to see a technical report explaining the problem and their logical reasoning for taking the key fob off of the key ring. I can't imagine how it can turn the ignition on or off when on that ring as opposed to in my pocket. (I do have the remote start button on the fob.) I'm afraid if I carry the ignition key around loose in my pocket for several months until they get repair parts that I am likely to lose the key. Have any of you seen a technical report trying to explain this?

I haven't. I received the same recall notice for my former 06 Lacrosse. Obviously an attempt to say they are not responsible if you did not follow their warning. Since I traded that car in, I wonder if any subsequent purchaser of this car is receiving the same notice.

I haven't seen a technical report, but I had the recall done on our 06 Ion. They claim the weight of any additional items on a keychain can cause the switch to shut off. It did take about 3 months from the time I first called the dealer 'til the parts came in.

I haven't seen the particular letter, but it's my understanding that "1 key, 1 fob" is acceptable. Also, there should be a small ring on the fob, with a larger ring holding the key to the smaller ring . . . keys not attached directly to the fob (which has been a GM recommendation for a long time) to keep from breaking the fob's case.

The issue of how much force it takes to turn the key from the "run" to the "off" position has been covered in the media. It appears that GM operatives took a fishing scale and measured the force to move the switch. They did this in salvage yards in MI, as I recall. Possibly even a mention of what their measured force was? In some respects, it sounds like a "shade tree" method of measurement, but making a tool to use an inch/lb digital torque wrench for each vehicle might have delayed their research. Key thing is that all measurements were obtained in a consistent manner, regardless of the method. There might have been an article in "Automotive News" on this?

IF anybody might receive a recall notification for a vehicle they no longer own . . . I might suggest they take the recall notice to their local GM dealer and advise the Service Manager of that fact. This way, GM can look outside of their database to search for that "later owner", if possible, as their database if most likely for their "last owner-of-record".

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

Thanks for posting that letter's picture file.

Typically, the only time a key can be removed when the cylinder is in the "run" position is if the key is worn enough to let that happen, by observation. Possibly another issue with the cylinder tumblers?

Take care,

NTX5467

I think the persecution GM has gotten over this recall is a joke. Lots of car makes out there will have this same problem if you hang a bunch of junk from the key.

I'll wager this is mostly a female problem. Guys don't typically hang a ton of crap on their keys because they usually keep their key in their pockets. Women on the other hand frequently have an entire junk store hanging from their keys. I've seen 'em with a wad of keys and trinkets size of a softball and probably weigh a pound.

My daughter borrowed my Mercedes recently while I was fixing hers. When she brought it back I asked her if had given her any trouble. She said that it kept stalling on her in traffic and that she'd have to restart it several times. I asked her to show me. She started it up, then I watched in comic disbelief as the key slowly turned itself to the off position... under the weight of a big wad of junk that she had attached to the key fob! I showed her the cause and she swore not to make that mistake again.

People need to take some responsibility for their own dumb actions instead of expecting the auto makers to protect them from themselves.

I took my letter to the dealer where I bought my Lucerne back in 08. He said I need to come back after I get a follow-up letter from GM stating parts are available.

He said in my car they are only going to replace the key ring with a smaller diameter unit. No need to replace the lock or tumblers. The suggestion to remove everything including the fob is apparently, as expected, an over-reaction due to corporate fears. Its safe to continue to drive with the car key on the original rings with the fob, but no excess keys should be on the ring. So I now carry my house key on a separate ring, not attached to the car keys. According to my letter the new ring will be 13mm diameter. It is designed to limit the possibility of the fob and other weight from flipping over and turning the ignition off in an extreme maneuver or accident.

So far I have not received any such letter on my 04 GMC Sierra pickup, It has similar fobs. Is the angle of the ignition switch different enough the pickups have been exempted from the recall, or are they farther down on their list of action?

Ohhh the things I saw as a service rep with people and their cars. Wheelnuts comments about gals and junk on their key chains is correct. I have seen more than 5 pounds of junk the size of a soft ball size of junk on a "key ring" and I was asked why the ignition switch did not work well...duhhhh.

A few years ago Toyota had a problem with there cars running away at full speed and killing people nearly every day, according to news media. It appears every single Toyota was found and repaired. I haven't heard of an incident in years.

Let's hope the new government GM management can do as well.

Toyota did an unbelievable job, truely, unbelievable.

Bernie