Blasting or Acid Bath/ transmission

Guest alapmi

Guest alapmi

I am working on a 1960 Impala Sport Sudan (http://forums.aaca.org/f190/1960-impala-sport-sudan-376523.html), I am going to have it striped with body and frame separate in a few months. I had this idea of getting the car acid bathed and then E coated (both the full dip). I want the car to last for 80 years and be driven to the grave in the thing. Well acid is a great idea and cost $$$$, except I can't find a place near or in Phoenix that does E-coating for the public. Which means it would have to be painted in primer (likely epoxy) and what could not be painted would be flash rusted bare metal. So I might as well get it blasted. The car also has rust mostly rear fenders, floor pans and, trunk pan. I'm a little scared about the blasting my cozen had it done on a 64 chevell with almost no rust and still gets paint spots from it, I want the paint to look good for a long time like 10 years.

I was wandering if anyone knows an E-coating place for the car?

Would acid be better or worse with line of sight paint?

Is epoxy the way to go with blasting or self etching? (either way I'm getting someone that does it professionally to apply it)

The car came with a 283 three on the tree, I am not to satisfied with the three speed: to small, it only has three gears, its probably going to brake if I made a mistake (I don't drive stick often so the likelihood of me ruining it is high and, it can't tow. I want a mostly 1960 impala with little 2014 additions, like AC, front wheel disk brakes and, some MPG. When I am done I want a daily diver (like my 1/2 ton 2004 gmc turn key, drive and, gas) I don't need a lot of power the engine going in is a 283 (different one) with some nice parts but MPG is the main factor. Figured i could get a six speed transmission and keep the RPM's low. There is a requirement that it must be column, rather I use the manual or put a automatic column shift no floor shifter (I think that car looks classier). I know it won't be an original transmission in the car, thats ok prefer automatic, it would help to have an overdrive and, has to be able to do light towing (I have camping plans and I'm a truck guy). I was looking into the Gear Vendors aftermarket kit with a four speed, don't know a thing about those, if it works as intended its the best thing since the wheel.

Whats a good transmission for the car going to do light towing (maybe a few times a year), six speed, overdrive (3.32 rear axel like to drive 80 on open road and get 25mpg), must be column shift workable, preferably automatic and, fits the car well (remember I'm pushing 250 HP on a very modest V8 don't need a turbo 400 or Addison for a new desail).

Hows the Gear Vendors? Whats a good transmission for it (four or five speed same requirements as before)?

Transmission is a year or more away but I'm just throwing ideas around until I get a good one going.

Edited by alapmi (see edit history)

I'm aware of two vendors who dip strip and e-coat, neither near you:

http://www.internationalpaintstripping.com/

http://www.metalfinishings.com/services.html

Personally, you may not find that e-coat is the best base. Manufacturers use e-coat because it is cheap, not necessarily because it's the best. Many high-end manufacturers (BMW, for example) have gone to powdercoat as the primer. I suspect this is at least partly due to restrictions on the use of solvent-based paints for environmental reasons, but many magazine builds have used powdercoat after stripping with great results. Most of the dip-stripping companies incorporate a rust inhibitor in their rinse coat to delay flash rust long enough to get the car primered. Epoxy is an excellent base coat, by the way.

The good thing about e coating is that it gets into every crack & crevice if done right. IMO, E-coating is the way to go. You can then put any primer over the ecoat.

As for International Metal Striping, I have used them and they do a good job at a reasonable price. They are just west of Detroit Metro Airport.

Guest alapmi
The good thing about e coating is that it gets into every crack & crevice if done right. IMO, E-coating is the way to go. You can then put any primer over the ecoat.

As for International Metal Striping, I have used them and they do a good job at a reasonable price. They are just west of Detroit Metro Airport.[/quote

Where is there a be paring place near Phoenix?