Looking for production or history

39deluxe

Hi to everyone,

Looking to gather some history about my car, now that I'm on the home stretch. I currently own a 1931 Buick Roadster model 8-54 convertible. The car was titled on 06/05/31 VIN# 2461556, body type RD, and title # 08617535206.

No help on data plate as with newer cars. Any help where I can look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis

One big difference is a transmission change. After S/N 2461202 the 54 series cars got a synchromesh transmission. There were 907 8-54's built in 1931.

Bob Engle

I didn't know anything about the transmission, but was told it was # 628 built.

Dennis Poletti

Maybe post a picture of your data plate. I am sure someone will be able to tell you more from that. I see from the job numbers list, which I have on file but seems to have disappeared from the net, that there is no job number for the convertible styles up to 1932 so I presume these were still be built by Stewart?? http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/s/stewart_wf/stewart_wf.htm

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

A confusing time period for Buick.

The 1931 50 Series actually replaced the discontinued Marquette ( Series 30 in 1930 ) and was built on the 114" chassis.

The early 1931 50 Series used surplus Marquette parts which included a Hotchkiss rear end with an open driveshaft. I know the larger Series cars of 1931 had a synchromesh transmission but the 50 series didn't, although they may have gained one later in production when the surplus Marquette parts ran out and the traditional Buick torque tube rear ends were fitted.

Looks like Buick produced a total of 907 Model 54 Sport Roadsters with another 70 Model 54X Sport Roadsters for export ( some would be RHD ).

Is your car fitted with an open drive shaft ( Hotchkiss ) or torque tube rear end?

My car has the Marquette transmission with the open driveshaft. I recently spoke to Mark Shaw pre war director about my car. He thought second gear had synchronizers for uphill down shifting. He also said to use heavy oil in the transmission. This is my first

car that doesn't have a synchromesh transmission.