DRIVING AN ORIGINAL 50'S VEHICLE IN MODERN DAY TRAFFIC

Rooney3100

I've decided to venture out with my 1956 Chevrolet Pickup instead of hauling it around to car shows, I'm just waiting for the driveway to be black topped, the truck is restored to completely original down to every nut and bolt, I used to have and drive a 1957 GMC out in Arizona in the early 80's as an everyday driver with car's from the 80's, now 30 some years later the cars have changed and people drive them with phones and who knows what else....

So I just wanted to ask anyone what they have experienced out there driving the old cars, I live in a smaller town here in Northern Michgan and just driving my 2004 Silverado thru town can be hecktic at times during the weekday's the way people drive these new cars, I'm hoping that Respect for the older cars are still out there, I plan on taking it out on Nice day's only, mostly on the weekends.........My truck will be fully insured also.........Rooney3100

DSCN1094_zps3e5eaf75.jpg~original

DSCN1091_zps712033bb.jpg~original

Edited by Rooney3100 (see edit history)

When I'm driving my Packard (without electric turn signals), I find myself looking in my mirror even more than the 50% of the time I normally do when driving a modern car. Always pay attention to an escape route, based on the fact that someone WILL do something stupid. Sometimes I miss my turn because I see that the person following me isn't paying attention.

A phenomena that I've seen recently is that teenage drivers (especially female) tend to drive VERY close to my rear bumper. They also seem to ROAR up to stop signs/stoplights, then slam on their brakes, as opposed to letting off the gas the moment they see the light change. With driver's license tests these days being little more than a basic reading test, it's no wonder that driving capabilities these days has diminished. Of course, drive-by-themselves cars don't help any (referring to the automatic parking feature). In my opinion, the safer you make cars, the worse drivers become.

Beautiful truck, by the way!!!!

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

​looks to be in good enuf shape. Make sure lights are bright enough to today's standards and instal seat belts and turn signals if you don't already have them. And most of all make sure the brakes are excellent not just good !

Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

I was faced with the same problem. Keeping it original is great for shows but not for touring. I have a '55 Chevy pickup that looks pretty much original but with two improvements. Disc brakes are a must on the front and doesn't change the character of the truck. Next was a T-5 5 speed so I could keep up. With the traffic. Truck still looks original but is very driveable. It's a nut and bolt modification that can be removed if the need should ever come up.

post-30950-143142682559_thumb.jpg

My personal observation is very much like West's, there isn't a lot of room for comfort left these days. I notice that drivers give absolutely no courtesy or quarter to drivers of old cars, they don't see it as anything special, historical or significant, it's just another object in their way for their expression of "me first" on the roadway. The worst offenders: drivers of large pickups, Dodage Rams seem to be the worst.

As a person who learned to drive in the 50's in a '50 Olds, I feel I need to comment.

First - the cars are not fragile and can easily be driven at modern speeds. I can tell you that the Olds would easily do 80.

Modern cars have good brakes - older cars dont. As far as driving in modern traffic goes, the real responsibility is in your court. Worry about you first. Your older car wont stop as well as a modern one - so just dont follow closely and be sure to give yourself plenty of stopping room.

Turn signals. They are nice. However, how often do you see drivers of modern vehicles NOT use them?

I agree that driving an older car can be a challenge, you just really have to watch out for the other guy - the one who is looking at you and not paying attention.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area and have been driving antique (real antiques) around here since the '70's. Our traffic is among the worse in the nation, so it can be done.

As a driver of an older car, you you just have to be extremely cautious, aware and understand the limitations of what YOU are driving.

It still is fun.

Don

I drive several old cars and have found that many people notice them, and acknowledge them as nice cars. So I assume that they stand out and ARE noticed by most people and they give them a little courtesy. In fact, when at a light taking a left, the opposite traffic will allow me to turn so that they can see the whole car.

I have a '55 Chevy pickup that looks pretty much original but with two improvements. Disc brakes are a must on the front and doesn't change the character of the truck.

This would scare me. I would never think about putting disc brakes on a vehicle without including radial tires (and I see that you did, Bob, but your comments say brakes only). The brakes on old vehicles are actually just fine as long as they're set up properly and you drive accordingly. Your actual stopping capabilities and issues are actually with the tires. Disc brakes and bias ply tires will not stop your car any faster than drum brakes and bias ply tires, in fact, you're more apt to put the car into a skid.

I totally agree with the other comments.

Also, be aware of what I refer to as the NASCAR drivers. They are the drivers who pass and then pull in less than a car length in front of you. The drivers the irk me the most are the ones that do the NASCAR pass then immediately put on their brakes. With the older braking systems on antique cars you need to keep extra distance between you and the car in front of you, which means a lot of drivers will be doing the NASCAR pass around you.

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wix.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Drove to Atlanta several years ago to visit my wife's cousin and go to a car show in a 1939 Packard. Got caught in rush hour traffic on a beltway. There was no way to leave following distance. That was just a sign from me that I wanted a car from another lane to pull in front of me. Legal speed limit was the starting speed. There must be a city law that you must change lanes every thirty seconds or get a ticket. I made it but was totally trashed. Left Atlanta at two in the morning.

I think it all depends on your attitude ... I've been driving since 1963 in everything from Model "A" Fords and a 1933 Pierce-Arrow to Sports Cars, econoboxes and an FWD truck. You don't need to do anything to a vehicle to drive in today's traffic except think a little. Half of the cars I've driven are probably slower than your truck, some substantially so. As for brakes how many stops have you ever made where having disc brakes instead of drums would have made a difference ........ neither have I. If you need that extra 20 foot stopping distance from 60 mph either the accident is unavoidable or most likely you weren't paying attention.

If you are afraid of a scratch or dent than put it in heated garage behind glass and view it from 5 feet away ..... except where metal fatigue is present it is difficult to harm an old car by driving it (properly).

Just my two cents

As a person who learned to drive in the 50's in a '50 Olds, I feel I need to comment.

First - the cars are not fragile and can easily be driven at modern speeds. I can tell you that the Olds would easily do 80.

Modern cars have good brakes - older cars dont. As far as driving in modern traffic goes, the real responsibility is in your court. Worry about you first. Your older car wont stop as well as a modern one - so just dont follow closely and be sure to give yourself plenty of stopping room.

Turn signals. They are nice. However, how often do you see drivers of modern vehicles NOT use them?

I agree that driving an older car can be a challenge, you just really have to watch out for the other guy - the one who is looking at you and not paying attention.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area and have been driving antique (real antiques) around here since the '70's. Our traffic is among the worse in the nation, so it can be done.

As a driver of an older car, you you just have to be extremely cautious, aware and understand the limitations of what YOU are driving.

It still is fun.

Don

Great answer. Just drive it. Enjoy it. It takes a while to get comfortable driving a old car in today's traffic. Almost all post war cars should have no problems in todays modern traffic. I drive my PA's around at highway speeds and no juice brakes. Just respect the car around you and haw fast they can stop. They have wheels...... drive them!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

My first car was a '59 Chev and I loved and missed it so much I bought another one last year.

Where did so many people get the idea drum brakes are so horrible?....... :mad:

If you can't stop with drum brakes you probably shouldn't be driving in suburban traffic.

I'n not talking about California Freeway driving here.

Try a Model A sometime. (I drive THAT too....... :P )

<<< See the COLLECTOR plates on my Dodge? I drive that one too.......as I do my '19 T. '27 T and '65 Mustang.

Ornaments are for museums........and trees.

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your comments, that's where the truck has been in a climate control garage and I need to do something with it, that's why I decided to blacktop the driveway and get it out and enjoy it, it's restored to New condition, I did have a 3:38 ratio gear put in the rear end from a 3:90, that's the only thing that's not original, I drove the truck for about 2 weeks when I received it from Oregon and it just screamed at 50 miles per hour, the 3:38 should tame it down, back a couple of years ago I did have a driver 1967 C20 with a 4speed and had fun driving it, you all are right about being smart when driving these OLD cars, this one I won't be able to goes as far because of the comfort level, the 67 was more comfortable, but Heck this baby is original right down to the date coded spiral shocks and the firestone Bias tires, it's the real deal from 1956, I'm hoping to get in on the road before the cold & snow gets here, I have to wait on the blacktop, I'm on the schedule, if not it will be my first priority in the spring after the roads get cleared of Salt, I'm going to be spending some time in the next few weeks to go over it with a fine tooth comb..........Thanks again for the comments and experiences....Keep them coming....ROONEY 3100 (STEVE M)

The AACA could sure use a lower ratio rear-end gear for its 1956 Chev bookmobile. It's a 1-ton, and currently has a 5:13 ratio (I think). Any spare gears in your garage that would fit a 1-ton?

West, I bought the Gear kit from a fellow out on the west coast, I will look in my paperwork when I get a chance and let you know, it's been 14 years since I bought the kit, hopefully he's still in business, I'd like to see a Picture of the Bookmobile if you have one....Thanks Rooney3100

My bad... it's a 1956. Its restoration is nearly complete.

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/did-you-say-bookmobile-298439.html

That looks to be a 55 chevy from the front emblem, the serial number would have the correct date of the truck---- West, the side emblems on a 55 have white paint, these have black paint from 56, so the serial number will tell all, I have to ask you thou, what color was the motor in it if it was original?

Here in Europe I really have to drive very defensively. Most people have not ever seen such big cars and will stare at your car while driving, thus forgetting to react to traffic. This happens while they drive behind you (and almost slam in to you when you are slowing down), next to you (and slowly veer in your direction because they are taking the steering while with them to the side to look at your car) and in front of you (looking in the mirror, not seeing traffic ahead slowing down). I always apply the three second rule for cars in front of me and for tailgaters I try to get them to overtake me or I will use my brake pedal a few times only for the lights to go on, not to actually brake, just so they wake up and react and back off a little. Then there are those people that think you're driving much slower than you are (because your car is big* or old**) so when driving on a road with side roads with people waiting to get on the road, be prepared to react to idiots getting on the main road you're driving without accelerating fast enough.

These methods come natural after a while, thus making them less exhausting (in the beginning it could be stressful driving in between those dangerous drivers). So: defensive driving is the key (for me at least). Even more defensive than a biker or truck driver.

* the factor of the size of the car matters; people know how the perspective of a small car changes with their speed (it comes naturally to us). This means that people unconsciously know that a normal car is about, say, half an inch (when half a mile away) and growing. Their brains then assume that, when that road is a 45 MPH road, they have enough time to go onto the road in front of that car. Now; our old cars are much taller and people usually do not know that. So now they see a car that is three quarter of an inch (when half a mile away) and growing, but, this time it is growing slower (because the relative size is changing less) so now their brain says: "this vehicle is moving much slower so I can easily turn on the main road". This also happens with trucks and trains.

** this one is down to the fact that people tend to think that old cars always drive extremely slow (and they don't think about the brakes of old cars).

Drove to Atlanta several years ago to visit my wife's cousin and go to a car show in a 1939 Packard. Got caught in rush hour traffic on a beltway. There was no way to leave following distance. That was just a sign from me that I wanted a car from another lane to pull in front of me. Legal speed limit was the starting speed. There must be a city law that you must change lanes every thirty seconds or get a ticket. I made it but was totally trashed. Left Atlanta at two in the morning.

I've lived in Atlanta all my life and I can tell you that you're wrong. You have up to one minute to change lanes. ;)

Guest AlCapone
I've lived in Atlanta all my life and I can tell you that you're wrong. You have up to one minute to change lanes. ;)

For a 30 second error I am willing to forgive him ! Wayne

All this talk of todays drivers got me thinking. Saw an article a few weeks ago that said if you love your children that are just starting to drive you should buy XXX brand because of the extra safety of smart braking when you get to close and bla bla bla. My first car that my Dad encouraged me to get was a 49 Crosley that I still own that had mechanical brakes, and not very good ones. I always thought he loved me. Driving a car that you had to look way out so you could start stopping if that car pulled out of the driveway, or the light changed or whatever might happen has stayed with me all these years and made me a better driver.

I drive my 50 F1 Ford truck pretty much anywhere I would drive my modern iron and just stay alert. The Crosleys I try to stay on secondary roads as much as possible.

I have a 1950 MG TD which I drive 3 or 4 days per week depending upon weather...doesn't really like hot weather (vapour lock; dieseling) or rain. Generally I have no problem with other drivers. In our town, my head is on a swivel and I try to plan ahead for stop lights. Out in the country, my policy is to pull over and let the giant, life-sucking pickup truck roar past. One policy I am thinking of adopting is not driving anywhere on weekends in any of our cars. We get a lot of tourists (Northern California) who seem to think this is some sort of adult Disneyland where they won't really get hurt. Saturday I was passed on the right shoulder by a large SUV (with out-of-state plates) who then proceed to make a left turn in front of me. Thankfully, the MG's old drum brakes worked. Guess he REALLY wanted to be first at a tasting room. My only gripe is parking. I always try to park any of our cars way out in the nowhere end of the lot. Invariably, I will come out of the store and a humungous pick-up will be parked next to me. Often, I can fit one of my roadsters underneath it.

Here in Europe I really have to drive very defensively. Most people have not ever seen such big cars and will stare at your car while driving, thus forgetting to react to traffic. This happens while they drive behind you (and almost slam in to you when you are slowing down), next to you (and slowly veer in your direction because they are taking the steering while with them to the side to look at your car) and in front of you (looking in the mirror, not seeing traffic ahead slowing down). I always apply the three second rule for cars in front of me and for tailgaters I try to get them to overtake me or I will use my brake pedal a few times only for the lights to go on, not to actually brake, just so they wake up and react and back off a little. Then there are those people that think you're driving much slower than you are (because your car is big* or old**) so when driving on a road with side roads with people waiting to get on the road, be prepared to react to idiots getting on the main road you're driving without accelerating fast enough.

These methods come natural after a while, thus making them less exhausting (in the beginning it could be stressful driving in between those dangerous drivers). So: defensive driving is the key (for me at least). Even more defensive than a biker or truck driver.

* the factor of the size of the car matters; people know how the perspective of a small car changes with their speed (it comes naturally to us). This means that people unconsciously know that a normal car is about, say, half an inch (when half a mile away) and growing. Their brains then assume that, when that road is a 45 MPH road, they have enough time to go onto the road in front of that car. Now; our old cars are much taller and people usually do not know that. So now they see a car that is three quarter of an inch (when half a mile away) and growing, but, this time it is growing slower (because the relative size is changing less) so now their brain says: "this vehicle is moving much slower so I can easily turn on the main road". This also happens with trucks and trains.

** this one is down to the fact that people tend to think that old cars always drive extremely slow (and they don't think about the brakes of old cars).

Thank you for your thoughts on driving old cars, I have driven my Harley since 1994 and you do have to drive defensively, I have alot of time and money in my truck and I know that first ride thru town will be like playing a video game, I drove into town today before work and tried to imagine having my 56, people were on my tail and people were pulling out from every where, I know that the evenings and weekends are a little less hectic......Rooney3100

Guest marlin65

I drive my 1960 original un-restored Corvair about once a week. We don't have a lot of traffic around here but there are still morons on the road, that don't respect an older car. Everyone is in a big damn hurry to get somewhere and out on the highway the big rigs will run you over. I just try to stay out of their way. Ed Dade City, Fla

I've decided to venture out with my 1956 Chevrolet Pickup instead of hauling it around to car shows, I'm just waiting for the driveway to be black topped, the truck is restored to completely original down to every nut and bolt, I used to have and drive a 1957 GMC out in Arizona in the early 80's as an everyday driver with car's from the 80's, now 30 some years later the cars have changed and people drive them with phones and who knows what else....

Rooney,

what's under the hood, I'm assuming it's a 216 or 235 Six ?

I have a 1950 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton mostly original that I'm trying to get finished with a 216 and am curious about the same things as well. My daily driver is a comfortable 1968 C20 Custom Camper with factory AC cab that has a 327 and TH400 and has no problems in this traffic but I do wonder what the 50 truck will drive like once I get it finished with the bias plys and lack of power.

Living in the 6th largest city in America I have to drive defensively regardless if it's a more modern vehicle or something from the early days so personally I drive slow anyway most of the time for defensive purposes. I just stay to the right and let the crazy's have the 8 lanes to the left of me :).

Whether it's the 1980s or 2014 there have always been fast cars and crazy drivers, avoiding them at all cost is the key and you can usually spot them from a mile away if your defensively minded. Living in a much smaller city you should be fine....

Enjoy it but please keep it from the salt and pot holes, those are sometimes more dangerous than the other drivers out there.

Oh and one last thing, watch out for those other classic car drivers who take photos with their IPhone while driving.. ;)

I usually try to avoid driving any of my old cars when traffic is at a busy stage. I go out early in the morning or when most folks are at work. When I have driven in a rush hour mode most drivers attitudes seem to be "Oh it's an old car, it must be driving really slow! I have to pass it right away"! Even if I am driving well over the posted speed limit they feel they have to tailgate and pass. Not very enjoyable driving.

Rooney,

what's under the hood, I'm assuming it's a 216 or 235 Six ?

I have a 1950 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton mostly original that I'm trying to get finished with a 216 and am curious about the same things as well. My daily driver is a comfortable 1968 C20 Custom Camper with factory AC cab that has a 327 and TH400 and has no problems in this traffic but I do wonder what the 50 truck will drive like once I get it finished with the bias plys and lack of power.

Living in the 6th largest city in America I have to drive defensively regardless if it's a more modern vehicle or something from the early days so personally I drive slow anyway most of the time for defensive purposes. I just stay to the right and let the crazy's have the 8 lanes to the left of me :).

Whether it's the 1980s or 2014 there have always been fast cars and crazy drivers, avoiding them at all cost is the key and you can usually spot them from a mile away if your defensively minded. Living in a much smaller city you should be fine....

Enjoy it but please keep it from the salt and pot holes, those are sometimes more dangerous than the other drivers out there.

Oh and one last thing, watch out for those other classic car drivers who take photos with their IPhone while driving.. ;)

My 56 has the 235 six cylinder..........

DSC04532_zps50011467.jpg~original

DSC04513_zps2d41b74f.jpg~original

Here is the Restoration.........Rooney3100

http://s555.photobucket.com/user/rooney3100/library/1956%20Chevrolet%203100%20Truck%20Restoration

I STILL love your truck, and you made the right decision with the new tires.

Take it out on good days and enjoy it

What a great-looking truck! A lot of great advice so far, I'll add a few items.

Realize that when you're out driving, you're an ambassador for the hobby and old trucks/cars in general. It's a rare day when I'm out in my old cars when I don't get a compliment or a thumbs-up while driving or parked. That's something you won't get driving a modern car or truck. I'm sure you'll also have people asking what model year, etc., about your truck, and please take a moment to pleasantly acknowledge those comments and answer the questions. It's up to all of us to help promote the hobby and our cars/trucks, and you may well gain a friend or two down the road. There are some folks out there who want to get rid of our cars/trucks and our hobby, and the more friends and support we have, the harder it will be for those seeking to do that.

As was mentioned earlier, park away from others when you have a choice, but don't be surprised when you park a dozen spaces away from everyone else and someone still parks close to you. It happens to me frequently.

Also, you may want to consider using a Club or other visible anti-theft device, the mere sight of it in use will help keep honest people honest.

Keep a fire extinguisher securely mounted and within easy reach, too. Murphy says that if you have one, you'll never need it. I have one mounted under the driver's seat of each car.

Many people assume incorrectly that all old-looking cars/trucks are driven slowly, and therefore feel the need to pass them, not realizing that the old car/truck is going as fast or faster then they are. This may account for some of the erratic driving we sometime see around us. I have a '67 Volvo that looks slow at 90-100 mph (on the closed track, of course) and when I'm doing 70 mph in the slow lane on the freeway, people often pass and then pull in front of me and brake hard because they suddenly realize that they're misjudged my speed and are about to miss their off-ramp. So anticipate, anticipate, anticipate. I also leave a little extra room between my cars and what's in front of me to help avoid stone chips and the windshield pitting that occurs when the dirt, stones, etc., are thrown up.

A minor benefit of driving your truck is that it'll be easy to find in a parking lot. Sort of like a top hat in a crowd of people.

You may want to consider adding a third brake light to your truck, as the stock lights are mounted fairly low. After having one car totaled in a rear-end collision and another moderately damaged in the same type of accident, the third brake light is a big deal to me. My two cars that didn't come with third brake lights now have bright LED ones that pulse when the brakes are applied. Both of these cars are shown, and I take the hit on points for non-original equipment. I'm o.k. with that. If you are concerned about showing your truck, there are lights and setups that can be easily detached for show judging and reinstalled for the trip home.

Having witnessed the deterioration from storage first-hand, I think you're making a wise decision. The brake drum/disc rust, fluid seepage, rodent, and other issues seem to be held at bay much better when the vehicle is operated at normal temperature regularly.

One more thought,

You may want to consider replacing the standard bulbs in your brake/turn/tail lights with modern LED bulbs which are available in both 6-Volt and 12-volt versions - just be sure of your choice of Negative or Positive grounding for your vehicle.

The major advantages are that they work much faster so they are much brighter, and are "INSTANT-ON - INSTANT-OFF", giving a much faster notice to the driver behind you of your intention to stop, or to turn. They also draw much less current than a conventional incandescent bulb.

A possible concern is that your flasher unit may not get enough current draw to flash properly, and as a result may trigger only a brief momentary flash. The way around this is to either replace the flasher with one designed as a mechanical, rather than heat-sensitive unit - or to add a resistor in the circuit to create additional current draw.

I have made this upgrade to many of my "drivers", and am happy with the result.