1958 Buick horn contact / problems

b58century

Hi All,

By looking the '58 Buick service manual picture of horn assembly and to me it looks like I'm not having all parts in place.

All I have inside (under adjustment plate) is spring and plastic insulation which goes to under adjustment plate. From manual I can see that there should be contact plate and some additional insulation.

I see no one is offering those parts as reproduction. Anyone having parts car and willing to sell me all parts that are needed?

Another issue: when I have all parts in place, I'll get small electronic shock when I'm pushing the horn ring. What may cause this? Relay is new and I can hear the sound when it "goes on". Actual horns are trying to start blowing but they seem not to work either.

Any help in forms of information or parts needed are highly appreciated

Thanks, Jukka

Regards the small shock, I bet you have the wiring on the relay backwards. The horns take a larger amount of electricity than the horn button. Allthe horn button does is close the relay so that the horns can get the larger charge of electricity.

Thanks John. I started double checking the relay and that was correct. Next thing I did was removing rust from the center of the horns (place where diaphragm contact goes) as there some left. That helped and horns became alive.

As I told horn contact plate was missing so I did one by myself from thin metal. I figured out how it works and bingo - horns started working.

What I don't know yet where those small electrical shocks came but those disappeared after I made contact plate for closing the circuit properly.

Jukka