Another Reatta

Mr. Anderson

There's a pretty good story to this one....

It all started when I was riding with my girlfriend to go see her house for the first time, which is right down the road from where I live, and as we were passing this small used car/salvage lot on this back road, the rear end of this reatta caught my attention. So, naturally, we had to stop and take a look at the car. It's in decent condition, with the worst thing about it being the paint, but since it was a '91, I was ecstatic and wanted to learn more about it. It turns out that according to the database, this '91, which is VIN 900817, is the only '91 delivered to my hometown new!

By now I was freaking out, and over the next few days, I would go over and talk to the old man who ran this small car lot. He told me that the car was sold new in Asheville, NC, and was a one owner car, only having been through a few different dealerships early on. He said that the car hasn't really been on the road in 9 years because of the dash going out on the owner in 2005. The dash was finally replaced this summer. The original owner ended up donating the car to charity, and it changed hands in a few more car lots before winding up about 5 minutes from my girlfriends house.

Crazy right? What are the odds of that?

So, after talking with him the whole summer and coming by and doing every kind of diagnostic scans I could think of, I finally, as of a few days ago, ended up buying the car! :D Me and my girlfriend are both really happy about it, and I am excited to begin working on the car. It has around 50,000 miles on it, but that is just an estimate because the EEPROM in the BCM has died. Like I said, the paint is toast on the hood and roof, and the headliner sags, among other issues, but the leather is nearly flawless! It is a really solid car, and the engine runs unbelievably smooth and quiet while the transmission shifts wonderfully.

I love the car, and I will probably keep this one for a long time. Oh yeah, here are a few pics. Enjoy! :)

post-91942-143142682364_thumb.jpg

Don't worry, I have the center caps for the rims, lol. :P

post-91942-143142682353_thumb.jpg

post-91942-143142682359_thumb.jpg

Well played, sir! I note this is another instance of a Reatta with a PROM problem. Seems to be a rash of this lately. I any case you got a nice project there and a solid basis for a really nice car once you put the needed work into it. Will be looking forward to seeing reports of your progress.

KDirk

Because I owned a Maui Blue '91 coupe with blue interior, I did some research and found there were only 54 made.

28 had blue interior, 24 had grey interior, and 2 had tan interior (they are 900729 & 901153)

A lot of talk about the Polo Green coupes in 1991 and those show 119 made .... so there were half as many Maui Blue coupes.

Thanks for the comments! Yes, this is a Maui Blue on Blue car. I will be spending more quality time with the car after my first week of college is done with. The main concerns are getting the EEPROM repaired or replaced and getting some good tires put on it. Oh, and I think that the parking lights and brake lights don't light up. Only the top (third) brake light will light. Bulbs? Fuse? Relay? I'm not entirely sure, but it'll be great to start working on this car anyway!

Guest PontiacDude210

Nice find, I like the blue! And I am jealous, the 91 has a couple cool features not on previous years. Keep us updated on the progress you make!