Interesting Paint Job

Guest BobFitz

Guest BobFitz

Here is a pic of my sohc TC. The PO owned a body shop and painted the top and body above the pinstripes black. Looks pretty good two-toned with the Cabernet lower body and ginger interior. I assume the paint job was a way to alleviate the clear coat peeling problem.

post-101701-143142682344_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of my sohc TC. The PO owned a body shop and painted the top and body above the pinstripes black. Looks pretty good two-toned with the Cabernet lower body and ginger interior. I assume the paint job was a way to alleviate the clear coat peeling problem.

Well, I will have to admit that, if you had not brought it to our attention, it is virtually impossible to see in this photograph.

I am sure it is more evident in person and on a clear sunny day.

This was no doubt an inexpensive way to alleviate a paint problem without having to paint the lower section which is a lot more expensive.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/84f5bfa1/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/84f5bfa1/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Notice that the stainless steel trim parts are missing from around the wheel wells so there has been some body work and paint done on the bottom side of the car as well. Also the pinstripes are not the factory color. Nice job.

Who knows on any car, especially older cars whether minor body work was done anywhere and everywhere without a close up thorough inspection. Reporting dent and scratch repair is not a legal requirement and Car Fax doesn't have all the car facts. From the post statement the previous owner also owned a body shop and his personal work on his personal car is going to be his personal choice and not what an insurance company would allow and document for an accident.

The stainless wheel lip molding's are gone as is the stainless from the body side molding. Could have been for done for squirting the slabs, or the old owner didn't like the way they the looked with his two tone paint.

Or someone was good enough to remove trim and then get the adhesive strip off without affecting the paint more than a buff would take care of. There are products that remove adhesive without marring the paint but they take lots of patience to get the best results. I personally like the look without the side mouldings but think the wheel lip trim helps the appearance. Wish they had been just a tad bit narrower, like about 2/3s.