Early Seat Identity Sought

hddennis

Just stopped by an antique mall and found a pair of very unusual wooden seats. They look like full size buggy seats but smaller in size Very well constructed, 1/3 original paint and because they have zero bolt, nail or tack holes I believe they are New Old Stock. They are only 24 inches wide on the bottom, 31 inches wide at the armrests and 19 inches tall so they clearly only seat one person. Does anyone know what they could fit or what they were designed for. I can buy the pair for $300.00 and would like to see them go to a good home.

Howard Dennispost-33891-143142680228_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142680174_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142680193_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142680209_thumb.jpg

My experience is not to buy on speculation. You can't even break even.

Truer words were never spoken, Dave. I decided to pass even though I know these are extremely rare, especially being N.O.S..

Hate to say it but something can actually be so rare nobody wants it! I have spent days trying to find out what these are online and multiple sites. I have even had people of the horse drawn crowd argue that these are ordinary 2 passenger wagon seats even after I pointed out that the outside edge of the base is only 24 inches wide and that is without horsehair stuffing and upholstery. I can't even generate an image on Google of a similar seat. Crying shame is they will probably end up as some of that "shabby chic" painted furniture @$*#*%+!

Howard Dennis

I am thinking that the seats may be for a type of surrey similar to this one....

That "seats one" thing is puzzling.

John, That's what makes these unique, but everyone keeps trying to convince me these are for two tiny a$$ humans. Maybe Tom Thumb ordered a carriage he never picked up?

Howard Dennis

Horse drawn buggy carriage seats that perhaps were never mounted ?

You have to remember that the wooden seat would have been placed onto a wood frame called a "seat riser", then you also have to account for the thick padding and upholstery that would be added later. The high back on the ones at the antique mall where you found them may seem like they are too high for a buggy seat but once you add the padding it fits into the criteria.

I would think some builders would have had orders left over once the auto industry became popular. Again, just a guess but the similarities are very close to some horse drawn buggies.

Pretty elaborate seat for it's time I would think...

If it were me and I had a desire to own them I'd offer the owner $150-$200, not as an investment though but just for the love of owning a part of transportation history.

The first photo is a wider seat but the design and structure are important. The other two photos show smaller seats that match your seats more closely. And yes, they were tiny a*$ people back then...;)

surreybig.jpgwoman-in-horse-drawn-buggy.jpg

a_000285_large.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

My thought is that they may be from a mountain wagon to shuttle passengers from the train station to hotel/ resorts in the teens. Look here for some examples.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1915+mountain+wagon&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nin5U9jpCZCcygTzqILgDw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=752#imgdii=_

http://www.orcasislandstanleysteamer.com/stanley-steamer-story/