'50 Rear Door Weatherstrip install. Where does metal retainer strip go?

beerczar1976

I thought I could figure this out on my own, but no matter which way I turn the metal weatherstrip retainer strips, they don't match-up with any holes that are in the edge of the door. I don't have the luxury of knowing how they came off...wasn't there during prior owner dis-assembly.

I have new weatherstrips from Steele and I can pretty much figure out where they run along the door edge, top-side/bottom-side/back-side; but I know there's also a section that goes along the hinge-side somehow that is held on by stapled on retainers...

Any Pics? Drawing?

All of my manuals do not show this detail. The only manual I don't have is the '49 C-Body Manual which may show it.

Guys, I think I just found the info. I need, or to at least get me started over on a Chevy forum!! http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/225784/weatherstrip_more_info If I understand their notes, they're mentioning something about the front door though.

My '50 front door weatherstrips end at the leading edge of the front door, and then there's only the big fabric bellows type that is installed inside the front fender. My rear door weatherstripping, yet to be mounted, encircles the door, or at least that's how Steele produces it. I know that from the factory they are separate components, but you can see where Steel has pre-joined them for installation.

Confirmed last night. I'm good. Rear Doors also used these retaining strips. For some reason for the life of me, without the pic. from the above link, figure out how these things went on. They should line up better once the door hinge cover plates are re-installed too. Right rear matched screws holes pretty well as is. Left door, not so much. Might have been a salvaged piece from another car. I might fill mis-aligned holes with JB-Weld, sand, prime, and re-paint.

• 1 month later...