Lighting wiring problems in 51 88

Guest 1951Olds88

Guest 1951Olds88

Just putting this out here to see if there is a known issue, before I start what is sure to be a complicated investigation.

On my recently acquired 51 88 (base), which has been reasonably restored/maintained, I have discovered one very strange quirk in the lighting circuits. When I turn on the headlights my back-up lights are on and the turn indicators do not flash any more. With running lights only the indicators do work, cannot remember whether the back-up lights are on. I expect that a wire or wires got reconnected in error during past maintenance, but if this is an easy fix please reply below or PM me.

N.B. Dashboard lights do not seem to be working either, although the dome and glove box lights do. Also, I noticed on the wiring diagram for this vehicle that the back-up light is shown as a single bulb, yet I have two lights, one above each tail light.

Looking forward to any suggestions from this erudite community

Stefan

Guest 1951Olds88

Just an idea - could the back-up lights be due to the back-up switch being always on? On the wiring circuit diagram it looks as if the back-up lights (& switch) are in the same circuit as the headlights. In other words, the backups should only light when the HL are on, very quaint. Does not explain why the turn indicator stops working, but maybe less work to find the problem.

Can anyone tell me where the backup switch is located, steering column or Hydramatic area?

TIA