Need help to find a Full Classic Driver

STuTZ693

This may seem like a strange request, but I have been thinking about finding a full classic to drive and tour. I would like a short wheel base sporty coupe in the late 30's or 40's.

Any ideas of Marques and models I should be looking at?

Thanks to all on advance.

Guest bkazmer

I think I'll vote for a 40 - 42 Packard 160 with overdrive and plain fenders. If you want only 2 pedals , the 41 Caddy fastback.

He didn't specify American manufacturer. There are probably a dozen foreign makes that would qualify as building "Sporty Coupes".

However, sticking with American, you seem to have covered all the bases. Was the Nash Ambassador still a Classic by 38? I'm thinking not.

36 to 38 Pierce would also make the list. But they are 139 or 144 inch chassis. Sporty, yes, but large and impressive. Here is a 36 V-12 on a 144 wb.

post-31625-143142683232_thumb.png

Really the more practical choice would be the 1940 or newer Cadillac/Packard/Lincoln Continental. To put a Packard Twelve, Lincoln K, V 16 Caddy, or Pierce 12 in the same category as any 1940's production car is really stretching it. Those 4 cars I just mentioned were really the last of an era, overbuilt dinosaurs of the late 30's when they were new if you will.

Not sure how married you are to the car being a Full Classic, but you can get everything else you want (including essentially the same V12 as the Continental in a much lighter car) with a Zephyr coupe. IMHO, they are definitely a step above a typical production car, if not at the same level as a Full Classic. Something to consider.

post-31207-143142687356_thumb.jpg

Thanks to West and everyone,

This turned out to be a very good thread with good info.

I was thinking of a driver full classic to be able to do Caravans as well as AACA touring with a single car.

I was not thinking V12 or V16.

I like 39 - 41 cars and I like coupes with standard transmission. I also have a limited budget.

I saw a pre war Buick Roadmaster Coupe older restoration that was nice but I do not think it is a full classic.

Note to West a few years ago at the Glenmor we talked about me submitting an article on our 1925 STuTZ for the AACA Mag. Can I still do that? Send me an email at thestutzclub@aol.com

Not sure how married you are to the car being a Full Classic, but you can get everything else you want (including essentially the same V12 as the Continental in a much lighter car) with a Zephyr coupe. IMHO, they are definitely a step above a typical production car, if not at the same level as a Full Classic. Something to consider.

Cecil

It doesn't get any better than that when it comes to prewar Zephyrs. Your car certainly should be accepted as a CCCA Classic (I refuse to use the registered term "CCCA Full Classic"). We need to do a feature on your car for the AACA magazine.

I drove a 1940 Zephyr on the Glidden Tour this year, and they are veritable hot rods. Even sounds like one. With the Columbia rear end engaged, I was coasting along on I-75 at 75mph.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Cadillac and Packard are the "easiest" to find, buy, drive and enjoy. Just be sure they are on the CCCA list of accepted cars. I have an original worn looking 41 Cadillac with the automatic transmission and is ALWAYS ready to go when I get in it. If I "step up" which I intend to do, I am looking for a 41 Sixty Series Fleetwood. I would then let my series 62 Cadillac go to a new caretaker. The CCCA accepted Packards are super cars as well and seems to be in similar price range as the Cadillac. I suppose that depending on who you know and where you are the selection could vary because of local support to keep the car active, but both are pretty easy to maintain.