St Thomas 1990 Reatta - Parts and Help Needed

BBHSTT

Hi all! I've still got the only 1990 Reatta in St. Thomas! Lots of offers to purchase...but there is no way I would sell--even though a few little things are getting annoying. I need some help/guidance on several things.

• The console cigarette lighter doesn't work. I need to have a replacement. Any suggestions about where I can find?
  • At some point, the plastic, rectangular entry light cover on the lower corner of the passenger side has gone missing and I would like to replace it.
  • Finally, one of the horn button covers on the right side of the steering wheel [it's a little plastic gizmo with a "horn" printed on it that has prongs and just snaps into place] has lost two prongs and won't stay in place. A replace needed in grey. Don't know part number or who might still carry these.

Here's a mechanical question. in the last few days, I've noticed that my trunk lock has been operating sporadically. Neither the key fob, glove-box button or key will get it open. The first time it happened, it magically corrected itself and started to open properly again. Now, it has happened again and it won't open this time. Thoughts about the problem?

Thanks for your help as usual!

Reatta Island Girl

Guest Mc_Reatta

Good to hear from you again even if you didn't offer to fly me down for a week or two to work on your car last time. :rolleyes:

Your parts needs should be simple enough for the vendors on here to fulfill as they are common items.

As to your problem with the trunk release, your symptoms point me to first check the relay in the trunk that all of those switches operate to trigger the release solenoid. It is relay "A" in the Micro Relay Center on the right side of the trunk. You can swap it with another relay if you don't have a spare to check if that is the problem and until you can get a replacement. It is the one in the top upper left position. I would suggest swapping it with the one at the top of the right side as the ones lower down control lights and turn signals which you may not wan to interfere with for any amount of time. Let us know if this doesn't fix the problem.

Hi! It really might be less of a hassle to have you come down 3 times a year and service the Reatta! You bring the parts!

Re. the needed parts--which vendors are you referring to? I don't see any listed.

Re. the trunk release relay issue--since I can't open the trunk to access the relays are you suggesting that I put on a lot of suntan lotion and crawl through the drop-down door behind the seats?!! :confused:Houdini, I am not! Will try to get my one on-island mechanic to get it open and do the recommended fix that you have suggested.

If you go to the top of this sub forum that you posted in you will see a "Sticky" labelled "Reatta Resources". In there you will find a list of folks who can supply most everything Reatta as well as helpful Repair resources. One of those folks is Jim Finn who prefers that you contact him directly rather than posting your needs here. That way he can respond more quickly to your needs. His email is JFinn@CPInternet.com. I'd offer to come help you too but I'd probably just spend most of my time sitting on the beach and working on my tan, drinking wine and ogling the babes. I'm sure you have plenty of takers with those parameters. Also I don't think my wife would allow it either.

Guest PontiacDude210

Is there not a manual trunk release somewhere on this car? It seems like you can reach though the flip down door and pop the trunk manually.

Guest Mc_Reatta

You mean you don't have any trunk monkeys on the whole island? ;)

Here's a old Barney photo of the trunk release. The orange bar in the photo is the emergency release. It is reached thru the hatch in the passenger's compartment. If you can't find a kid small enough to bribe into climbing into the trunk and pushing it, get a flashlight and long stick like a yardstick and have at it. Hopefully the carpet isn't covering it up so you can see it without having to dive in.

post-55241-143142680499_thumb.jpg

Guest PontiacDude210

I thought so... I got stuck in the flip down door once and I do believe that's what I was after at the time. I don't recommend that approach, I second the yard stick idea.

Thanks. I have found the list of resources and sent a message to Jim. You can go overboard with the drinking, sunning and looking when you live on "the rock". But with only about 50,000 people [who you tend to run into all the time], it can get a little tiresome!

Believe it or not, we don't have any monkeys of the animal variety on island! Magically, after sitting for 24 hours...the trunk popped open again and has been working fine for a day. Will still have the relay checked and will locate the release. Per you suggestion and PontiacDude's experience, I will keep a yardstick handy! Having the only Reatta on island, it is definitely a "guy magnet", so I'm sure that I'll be able to get help if I use the damsel in distress ploy!:rolleyes:

Ronnie, does the Reatta Store carry any of the parts that I need?
I don't believe any of the parts you are needing are available new with the exception of maybe an aftermarket cigarette lighter. The Reatta Store doesn't offer any used parts. Sorry.

Guest Mc_Reatta

What have the weather conditions been over there? I'm wondering if dampness may be the cause of the trunk not opening until things dry out again.

• 1 month later...

Hi, to my Reatta on-line help mates! There must be a little mean "minion" playing around with my St. Thomas based Reatta when I'm not looking! I'm still trying to resolve the trunk release issue. I've now got a cute piece of yarn tied to the emergency release handle so that on those random days when it doesn't work, I can just reach through the hatch and pull the yarn. According to my 1 mechanic, the trunk release motor needs to be replaced, but based on your advise it's the solenoid. Regardless of which it is...neither is available on island. I'm on the mainland for a month or so, could someone tell me where I can get the solenoid and/or the motor to take back with me. [Please include part #]

Separately, the AC fan in the engine seems to be stuck on one speed. The mechanic says it should be running at variable speeds and that I need an AC fan relay. Any suggestions on who might have this part or whether the entire fan motor will have to be replaced.

As usual...big thanks for your help.