Rattle in rear brakes

Guest PontiacDude210

Guest PontiacDude210

I've had my 90 coupe for several years, and never really solved this issue. When I go over a bump, the rear calibers rattle like crazy. I put new pads on and made sure everything is moving freely, and they do work. When I go over a bump with the brake pedal down, no rattle. I had it apart again to do a wheel bearing last week, and I noticed with the pedal not pressed, the inside pad seems to have a lot of room to float. I'm thinking bad calibers in the rear. Is this likely?

There is a circular retainer snap clip that holds the rear inboard pad to the piston. Sounds like it is missing on yours. It is not usually supplied with new pads, you need to purchase a brake hardware kit to get them. The clip rotates onto the piston (note the cross pattern in the face of the piston and corresponding notches at the edge). The clip is also direction sensitive, make sure the top side is up when installing or it will not clamp over the pad correctly.

KDirk

I would also look at the arm for the e brake, if you remove the nut and bring the arm to the rear of the car (the next position back) it will take out slack in the cable and tighten the pad. This should be the first thing you do before adjusting the e brake cables with new pads.

Also the bolt under the nut that holds up the return spring narrows the gap between the pads and rotor. Remove the arm and turn the nut to the left if you are working on the drivers side 1 flat and reattach the arm, this will take out a lot of slop. If it makes it to tight that you can not turn the rotor back it off 1 flat.

http://thereattastore.com/acdelco-18h114-professional-durastop-rear-brake-caliper-kit/

Will this correct the floating pad problem I have? I don't see the retaining ring anywhere besides maybe here. And is there a tutorial on adjusting the emergency brake lever?

That kit is not what you need to stop the brake rattle problem. I have been told that the kit listed below will stop the brake pad rattle. I have not tried it so I can't verify that it will. Maybe someone here who has tried it will comment.

The photo of the kit is just an example. Not the kit for the Reatta.

Centric Parts 117.62026 Brake Disc Hardware

I'll need to check with my local parts place this week. I bought the kit pictured above to do the rear brakes on the 'vert last month. Do not remember the brand or part number now, but can find it. Will post when I find it unless someone else does so first. I do know it was no problem to find, and was readily available so don't understand all the difficulty some are apparently having sourcing this part.

I will add if you need new calipers, the Cadillac conversion mentioned a few posts back is very much worth considering. If your stock calipers are still good, I see no reason not to continue using them.

KDirk

Zoltan everything that I can find says it is for the rear. RockAuto and many other Reatta parts outlets list that kit for the Reatta rear brakes. It might be a POS for all I know but I do know some people have reported to me that it stopped their brake rattle. Here is one example: Brake Rattle GONE!!! If my rear brakes start to rattle I will install the Centric Parts 117.62026 Brake Disc Hardware Kit

In my opinion tightening brake pads to the rotor using the parking brake is the wrong thing to do. The end result of that is brakes dragging on the rotor and generating heat. The Reatta rear brakes have a self adjusting mechanism built into the piston in the caliper that should remove excessive clearance between the pads and rotor. If it's not doing that the brake caliper should be worked on instead of adjusting the parking brake arm.

I have installed the Kit shown in the photo on more than one Reatta rear brake. This kit will STOP the rattle.

Which picture, the one with the round spacer in Zoltan's post or the one with the four identical looking clips in Ronnie's last post (Centric parts 117.62026)?

Guest PontiacDude210

Well this got more complicated than it needed to very quickly. I guess I'll give autozone a try just based on the pictures I've seen. Worst that'll happen is I have to go back a few times before I get the correct part.

The part I can't grasp is why there are so many different hardware kits for the same caliber. The rattle seems to be caused by the floaty pad. So which kit fixes that? The parking brake doesn't work right either, could that be the sole cause of the problem?

Edited by PontiacDude210 (see edit history)

Had the same problemwith my 88. I finally replaced both rear calibers and problem along with my leaks went away

Brian Hoff

Kokomo In

Guest PontiacDude210

I ended up replacing the pads, one caliper, a wheel bearing, putting a hardware kit on both sides, and removing both dust covers on the shocks before I was done fixing problems.