Please Help decode this 1950 Buick convert super We are in a bind and have so many questions.

Guest LuckyImpala

Guest LuckyImpala

Ok so we bought a 1950 buick VIN # 15765197 with some changing the trim tag to a rivera no clue why and a title from utah and cant get ahold of the org owner.

Will the vin tell me anything at all I need to confirm this is a convert I did verfiy the frame matches my vin Help me please.

Sorry, the serial number doesn't tell you much:

1 = car built at Flint, MI

5765197 = sequential number, range for Flint in 1950 was 5,360,001 to 6,031,255

Convertible bodies were built at Flint. Buick did on occasion ship the convertible bodies to other plants for final assembly, which was indicated on the trim tag. So having a Flint serial number doesn't guarantee that it is a convertible.

I think the problem he is having is that the car is a convertible and that the trim tag with the body number, style number and paint and trim codes has been replaced with a tag from a hardtop car (Riviera), so the trim tag won't be much help in this case.

This leads to a question. Why would someone replace the firewall tag on a convertible to a hardtop? Perhaps a previous owner tried to make a convertible from a hardtop. Does the car have what looks like a real convertible top? Someone may be able to help you to compare the frame, one verses the other.

John

Maybe someone replaced a rotted convertible cowl with a Riviera cowl? This type of post can sure lead to even more questions. Chances are some pictures of the car and cowl would be of assistance here.