Control Arm Bushing set '64

gabrielquinn

I am aware that much has been discussed on this topic in the past, yet has anyone installed this set of Control arm bushing set from CARS, inc. (Old Buick Parts).

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/catalog/1963-up-riviera-group-rear-axle-control-arm-bushing-1963-65-riviera-set-p-7516.html

Someone mentioned that they are not the proper size, yet it mentioned on the part that "these are the correct length." I was unsure if they have changed them to fit properly as I need some for a frame off restoration on a '64 Riviera.

Or should I go with the Rare Parts:

http://shop.rareparts.com/smtp/shopdisplaycategories.asp?iyear=1964&imake=0006|BUICK&imodel=0123|RIVIERA&iproduct=0048|SHOCKS%20AND%20STRUTS

Thank you for any insights.

I am aware that much has been discussed on this topic in the past, yet has anyone installed this set of Control arm bushing set from CARS, inc. (Old Buick Parts).

Or should I go with the Rare Parts

Thank you for any insights.

Those that CARS, inc. offer APPEAR to be the same as the Rare Parts items.

Frame off restoration?? Pictures pls…we likey pictures lol

If your like me, & wanna save a buck or $300 read thru this link below. Two guys from the forum followed the steps in the link with great results. One of the guys is my friend with a 64 & he's happier than flys on chit. I hope others will follow suit…

I don't know anyone who's installed the CARS bushings cuz they are NOT the right size. Even tho they STILL show that they are.

If u have more money than time then order the Rare Parts bushings for a flawless experience.

edit: old link no longer worked due to forum update. Here is the new link

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/226485-disturbing-details65-riv-trailing-arm-bushings/

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

Thanks to David's ("RockinRiviDad") detailed build thread regarding the subject of rear control arm bushings and "slosteve's" details regarding his fabrication/modification of his rear control arm bushings, I built up some courage to attempt the fab/mod of rear bushings myself. With the info from David and slosteve, I too went to my local metal shop and purchased a footlong steel tube (less than $10) and ordered the identified bushings from David's original post. I then went to a local machinist, who had previously machined some axle spacers for my bike, and had him cut the steel tube to essentially make spacers for the Rivi bushings. The machinist made the spacers within a couple of hours and charged me only a few $ for his time. Attached are some pics, I will add more in another reply with additional info. I saved myself some $$$ and could not (most likely would not) have done this without David's initial post and slosteve's fabrication post. I owe you guys a beer (more like cases of beer)! Thankspost-98758-143142678947_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142678682_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142678942_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142678946_thumb.jpg

I used measurements as posted by David and slosteve and measured parts/pieces to compare using digital caliper…post-98758-14314267896_thumb.jpgnote difference in length of bushing with/without round tube(spacer) compared to center spacer removed from original bushing. The overall difference was approximately 0.25

post-98758-143142678951_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142678955_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142678956_thumb.jpg

Here is a mock up of the bushings with spacer at ADJUSTABLE UPPER control arm and REAR LOWER control arm. Bushings are NOT torqued down. As previously mentioned by David and slosteve the outer diameter of the bushing shell/housing had to be taken down minimally to be able to be pressed back into control arm. Same process described by slosteve…I measured and re-measured for fitment…this process took some time. Unfortunately, I've got more time than money so this process worked best for me and was not as difficult as I expected…it felt good to get my hands dirty...post-98758-143142678974_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142678962_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142678966_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142678968_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142678971_thumb.jpg

Great stuff Jeff, glad you were able to take advantage of the info in that thread. Saved me a TON of $$$ and got some satisfaction too. By the way, it appears that Rare Parts has significantly reduced prices on those that they sell. Coincidence?!

Steve

Gabriel, hope this stuff helps

Jeff, thanks for posting all the nice pix. Job well done my friend, impressive work. Keep it up.

Steve, thanks for leading the pack with details on how to make this all work in our favor. I saw the $9 price reduction on the Rare Parts bushing I'm afraid they are still kind of pricey haha

Come on Gabriel, its your turn to make your own bushings & maybe the Rare Parts bushings will come down another $9 for the next guy (& so on & so forth) haha... this is a movement lol lets keep it moving boys :) 

Perhaps he's like some of the guys on an antique bicycle site that I watch. They'll take the info, use it, and feel that you just owed it to them because some guys their age are just entitled to free information without any feedback or thanks, My opinion based on some guys on other forums. As we used to say at school "Everyone is warming up for the choir. It's all me me-me-me-me-me"

post-97904-143142685889_thumb.jpg

Or perhaps disparaging remarks are not appropriate for this forum?

Yeah, originally I attempted to reply immediately, Yet spent many hours trying to figure out how to upload photos of the frame off restoration. I essentially did not get back to it faster, because like most people here, I am sure, I have been insanely busy. I think I just recently found a way to downsize and upload pictures, but am still working on it. Sorry for the delay in response.

So, for the record: I am not MIA nor am I warming up for the choir and really don't get why the comments were made...

Anyway, I absolutely appreciate the information and effort given and find the intel invaluable; Thank you.

I would like to fabricate my own, because the price point that Rare Parts is selling at seems draconian, and it is almost unbelievable that CARS would sell the wrong size with such a high price; I will have to see if I have the proper resources at my disposal.

I will attempt to attach pictures that are not too lage of file, but can also be seen with the naked eye.

Comments were only made in good humor...no harm intended, we like to smile. I started up with the comments in hopes to verify that you got the info that a few guys worked hard at posting for you. I am ecstatic that we found an avenue to make our own bushings & I would love to see u benefit from it too. I am on a mission to push guys on making these since my a$$ still hurts from the money I paid for the Rare Parts bushings haha

Love the pix...yes you have been busy...as we all are. It looks like you have some talent (or at least a lot determination haha), with that said I am certain u can make these bushings & save some dough. I think Jeff used a hand drill & a bastard file (sorry Jeff if I've got that wrong). Slosteve chucked his bushings up in a drill press...I might have those backwards...I've been a bit of a scatter brain lately.

You should start a build thread for all these cool pix Gabriel. Thats what I did & that way all your pix stay on one thread. PM me your number & I can help u with a free photo service like photobucket (that's what I use) to post all your pix from & it protects your personal info. Thieving bastards can some how see where your taking pictures from & show up to take your stuff...rat bastards can't find anything better to do. I'll post a thread on that for all to see what these low life's do

keep up the good work gabe, holler if you need anything

post-97904-143142685996_thumb.jpg

Hehe, yeah; I don't want my a$$ to hurt more than needed.

Grandfather drove his '64 till he died at 91 years old, and it shows on the car. We had to replace both front fenders...

Black with red interior. It should be nice and sinister when done.

Thanks again!

Gabriel

post-97904-143142686007_thumb.jpg

Maybe someone can make the spacers and offer them for sale so everyone doesn't have to re-invent the wheel. Those would be good to have, just in case, if you don't need them now .... as long as you have the Riv, the day will come. Any takers, I will buy the first set. Paul

Cool hoist. I must've missed the group order on a hoist for my garage. Everyone seems to have one now...I want one haha

Nice thing about the black interior is that you can paint the car almost any color.

I did a frame off too. Check out my build thread...hopefully u will find some helpful info there too

Cool hoist. I must've missed the group order on a hoist for my garage. Everyone seems to have one now...I want one lol

Nice thing about the black interior is that you can paint the car almost any color.

I did a frame off too. Check out my build thread...hopefully u will find some helpful info there too

I missed it too! Dang!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So as I am reading both threads on the spacers they seem to be making one set at .325 (slosteve) and the other at .25 (JRivi64)Not sure what to do here. I will measure what I have since mine is a full size car even they list the same bushing.

Pat

Guest RivinitUP

post-101477-143142789235_thumb.jpg I met up with a guy tonight that had a 65 Riv. I bought an exhaust system off him. we got talking and he dug out his box of parts. I've seen a lot of talk lately about bushings etc. I came across these and were wondering if they were oem or aftermarket. they looked to be in new condition. either way the guy was very cool, we talked for quite a while. he had some neat pieces, some of which I'd never seen before.

post-101477-143142789264_thumb.jpg any idea what this is?

post-101477-14314278928_thumb.jpg The previous owner had quiet a bit of paperwork and documentation with the car, I found this spec sheet with lists of the different riv motors and specs.

post-101477-143142789214_thumb.jpg

post-101477-143142789255_thumb.jpg

Pat,

Re-reviewed past related threads on these dang bushings and went out to garage to re-measure spacers I had cut up. In my review I saw slosteve eventually had his spacers CUT to 21/64" which is .328". I re-measured my spacers and they came out to .327". My measurement of the difference between the original bushings and new Raybestos bushings (excluding spacer) was "approximately" .25" -laziness must've set in and I just eyeballed difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Gents I tried several suppliers and different price ranges when I was replacing the bushings in my "65 Riviera. They all said They will fit, They all would not. So Instead of putting a two-piece bushing in my "Control" arms, this is how I handled it.

post-91016-143142810742_thumb.jpg I removed the bushings and the inner sleeves from the outer sleeves, leaving those still in the control arms.

post-91016-14314281074_thumb.jpg Took a Control Arm, an old inner sleeve, a new inner sleeve (the O.D. is different than from the old one) to a local machine shop.

Had the shop make some sets of bushings from Ultra High Density Urethane. Much tougher than the original rubber. They fill the bracket void from side to side. They do stiffen the ride quite a bit, but they are a perfect fit! Without removing the outer sleeve from the control arm! I have spare sets available if anyone is interested..

post-91016-143142810737_thumb.jpg

RG

post-91016-143142810729_thumb.jpg

post-91016-143142810733_thumb.jpg

post-91016-143142810735_thumb.jpg

post-91016-143142810739_thumb.jpg

post-91016-143142810744_thumb.jpg

post-91016-143142810746_thumb.jpg

Edited by BB401 (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/1/2014 at 12:19 AM, BB401 said:

Ok Gents I tried several suppliers and different price ranges when I was replacing the bushings in my "65 Riviera. They all said They will fit, They all would not. So Instead of putting a two-piece bushing in my "Control" arms, this is how I handled it.

post-91016-143142810742_thumb.jpg I removed the bushings and the inner sleeves from the outer sleeves, leaving those still in the control arms.

post-91016-14314281074_thumb.jpg Took a Control Arm, an old inner sleeve, a new inner sleeve (the O.D. is different than from the old one) to a local machine shop.

Had the shop make some sets of bushings from Ultra High Density Urethane. Much tougher than the original rubber. They fill the bracket void from side to side. They do stiffen the ride quite a bit, but they are a perfect fit! Without removing the outer sleeve from the control arm! I have spare sets available if anyone is interested..

post-91016-143142810737_thumb.jpg

RG

post-91016-143142810729_thumb.jpg

post-91016-143142810733_thumb.jpg

post-91016-143142810735_thumb.jpg

post-91016-143142810739_thumb.jpg

post-91016-143142810744_thumb.jpg

post-91016-143142810746_thumb.jpg

Old thread, I know.

Everything I have read about urethane bushings says that they squeak like crazy.

Did u ever install these trailing arms and experience squeaking?

Has anyone tried this method?