1935 Buick 60 restoration

ralphmyles

post-102439-143142675183_thumb.jpgI'm starting this thread because of the car my father and I recently purchased. It is a 1935 series 60 sport coupe, while the car has good, solid metal, the engine requires a lot of attention. I am currently 14 years old and ready to do more serious work than the carburetor, fuel pump and brake work that I have done on a '41 Packard and a '22 Buick. The engine has been poorly painted w/ a incorrect color, the manifolds have been off during it's 20 year storage period. The valves are caked in grease and the Buick spark plug cover is missing. We have done the obvious stuff so far (mystery oil), what else would you recommend doing to free the engine? Does anyone know where to get a spark plug cover and Buick luggage? I will have a lot more questions in the future. Thank you.

post-102439-143142675149_thumb.jpg

post-102439-143142675161_thumb.jpg

post-102439-14314267517_thumb.jpg

post-102439-143142675174_thumb.jpg

post-102439-143142675178_thumb.jpg

post-102439-143142675187_thumb.jpg

post-102439-14314267519_thumb.jpg

Ralph,

Great looking car, love it. My Dad did a post high school cross country trip with his mom in one of those in 1935.

First thing to do is remove the oil pan and clean out all gunk that no doubt collected over the years. Take out the oil pump pick up tube and clean it too. Take a look around in the crankcase to see if anything looks out of place. Reinstall the oil pan with a new gasket.

Take the valve cover off and clean up under there too. Then pour a little oil over the valve stems and give each one a little tap with a hammer to see that they are not stuck. If they're stuck you could bend a push rod, not good.

Pull the spark plugs and pour some transmission fluid into each cylinder. Let it sit for a few days or a week. If you have a crank you can try that and see if you get any movement or put the car in gear and gently rock it back and forth.

Others will add too and or correct some of this but it's a start.

Have at it :)

Dave

I agree with Dave & add that you should lubricate everything that moves. With the pan off, spray lube all the crank bearings & use gasket sealer to glue the new cork gasket to the engine case. If you can rig a temporary oil pump, pre-lube the engine with fresh oil and capture what runs out until it is clean. Lay the pan flat and make sure the mating flange is flat before re-installation.

Remove the plugs before trying to turn over the engine & rock it in 2nd gear to break it loose (it will be much easier).

Guest BigDogDaddy

Welcome to the forum. It is great to see a young guy taking an interest in pre war cars. I was one of those kids too.

Ralph: NICE car!! Do what the others suggest. I'm currently doing the same thing to a 1947 248 CI straight eight. When I drained the oil pan, clear water came out at first which suggests a lot of condensation through the years it sat.

Mark: What gasket sealer do you suggest? Permatex 2 or ???

Ralph:

Great car with tremendous potential. I wish my father had been a car guy. When I was 14 (1969) I never saw these cars around to be worked on. But at 15 I bought a 1937 International Pick Up to get running by the time I would get my license. All my father wanted for me to do was for me to get rid of it. He didn't believe in resurrecting the older cars.

I teach Tech Ed at our high school and also wish some of my students had your enthusiasm for this hobby. All the advice presented so far is sound. We will look forward to hear more from you about your projects. And help when we can. What model is the 1922? Many on the forum have these cars and are quite knowledgeable.

Best of luck and keep in touch.

Larry

Ralph,

Great looking car, love it. My Dad did a post high school cross country trip with his mom in one of those in 1935.

First thing to do is remove the oil pan and clean out all gunk that no doubt collected over the years. Take out the oil pump pick up tube and clean it too. Take a look around in the crankcase to see if anything looks out of place. Reinstall the oil pan with a new gasket.

Take the valve cover off and clean up under there too. Then pour a little oil over the valve stems and give each one a little tap with a hammer to see that they are not stuck. If they're stuck you could bend a push rod, not good.

Pull the spark plugs and pour some transmission fluid into each cylinder. Let it sit for a few days or a week. If you have a crank you can try that and see if you get any movement or put the car in gear and gently rock it back and forth.

Others will add too and or correct some of this but it's a start.

Have at it :)

Dave

Thanks for all the help everyone! I opened up the rumble seat an noticed a large amount of rust in the floorboard. Is there a place that has the blueprints for my car?

Ralph:

Great car with tremendous potential. I wish my father had been a car guy. When I was 14 (1969) I never saw these cars around to be worked on. But at 15 I bought a 1937 International Pick Up to get running by the time I would get my license. All my father wanted for me to do was for me to get rid of it. He didn't believe in resurrecting the older cars.

I teach Tech Ed at our high school and also wish some of my students had your enthusiasm for this hobby. All the advice presented so far is sound. We will look forward to hear more from you about your projects. And help when we can. What model is the 1922? Many on the forum have these cars and are quite knowledgeable.

Best of luck and keep in touch.

Larry

The 1922 is a four cylinder roadster with 22,000 original miles, it is a 100% original car and we want to keep it that way.

post-102439-143142677021_thumb.jpg

Yes Dave,

I have had the same Permatex tube for years... It doesn't harden, but does provide a good seal and locks the gaskets in place. I also suggest coating the mating surface of the pan with oil before installation. This ensures that it will separate without sticking to the gasket.