For Sale 1964 Riviera

MrEarl

For that kind of price, if I were you (Mr. Earl) I'd be asking for some more pictures and asking some pertinent questions. It could either be a good deal or something you want to stay far away from.

Ed

Ed, that car is one of those dragged from the warehouse near Jerry World and hauled up to Ohio to be put for sale. As pointed out previously,

all the Texas Riviera's are in Ohio....Go Figure! Why are all the solid Southern cars for sale located in the Rust belt?

The car doesn't run. It needs a rebuilt carb, $300; a signal light assembly, $300; and transportation away from a place where it didn't sell, $1,000. There is a known $5500 entry fee. And there are things we don't know.

I used to buy cars like this based on how much I wanted it, how much I could sell it for if I didn't like it once I got it, and how much I could afford to lose in a year.

I do all the work, maybe a head gets dropped off for valve grinding. One can not even think about it if they have to "take it to their mechanic".

So, 10 years ago, when I was inclined to do this kind of thing, I figured I could eat $3,000 a year without taking food and clothing from my wife and kids. Could I buy this car from money in the tin car in the garage, get familiar with it, and dispose of it with a loss of under $3,000 if it proved unworthy to keep? Could I sell it for $3,000 or more next spring?

Probably more than $3,000 but not much more than $5000. I would be safe in minimizing my loses, pretty sure the tin can would have less in it next year, and at risk of having a car I didn't really have a driving urge to own. Car guys in Milwaukee didn't want it. It is likely car guys anywhere wouldn't want it.

Bernie

The car doesn't run. It needs a rebuilt carb, $300; a signal light assembly, $300; and transportation away from a place where it didn't sell, $1,000. There is a known $5500 entry fee. And there are things we don't know.

I used to buy cars like this based on how much I wanted it, how much I could sell it for if I didn't like it once I got it, and how much I could afford to lose in a year.

I do all the work, maybe a head gets dropped off for valve grinding. One can not even think about it if they have to "take it to their mechanic".

So, 10 years ago, when I was inclined to do this kind of thing, I figured I could eat $3,000 a year without taking food and clothing from my wife and kids. Could I buy this car from money in the tin car in the garage, get familiar with it, and dispose of it with a loss of under $3,000 if it proved unworthy to keep? Could I sell it for $3,000 or more next spring?

Probably more than $3,000 but not much more than $5000. I would be safe in minimizing my loses, pretty sure the tin can would have less in it next year, and at risk of having a car I didn't really have a driving urge to own. Car guys in Milwaukee didn't want it. It is likely car guys anywhere wouldn't want it.

Bernie

The pertinent question here is are the wife and kids at a healthy weight or could they stand to lose a few pounds. If they are a little heavy,

what a great opportunity to get the family in shape and drag home another Riviera! As for clothes, there should be a Salvation Army nearby!