Converting 37 Desoto S3 to 12 Volt

Guest Greymare

Guest Greymare

Hello all! I have a 37 Desoto S3 that I would like to convert from 6 volt to 12 volt. I have been looking around the web and doing a little research to see what I have to change and trying to find the parts I need to use. Here is a list of what I think I need. I would love for you guys to look this over and see if I missed something and make sure that I am on the right path.

1) Starter Solenoid- Stock Part#: 641462

(This may actually be a switch and may not need replaced from what I found with this part number.)

2) Charging system-

A) Generator stock Part#: 1253367 Possible 12 Volt option Part#: 7127-12VP

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/Generator%20to%20Alternator%20Conversion%20Guide.htm

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=135

B) Voltage Regulator Stock Part#: VRP - 4101A (I looked around and found a few possibilities for this one. This will also on what alternator I go with. If it has a built in voltage regulator this will no longer be needed.)

3)Ignition-

A) Coil Stock part#: IG-3224JS (Autolite) Should be easy to find a replacment 12 volt coil.

B) Condensor Stock Part#: IG-3927A (Autolite) Looked around and found a few that look the same in 12 volt.

4)Gauges-

A) All the bulbs in the gauges. I will have too pull them and see what each of them are. I may make LED ones for these to replace them all.

B) Fuel Gauge- May or maynot work. If not I will have to add a Ballast resistor.

5) Radio- I need ideas here. I may have to send it off to be changed out. I would really like to keep the factory radio working.

6) Wiper Motors- I found this 12volt wiper motor http://www.ebay.com/itm/37-39-40-45-46-47-Plymouth-Desoto-12-Volt-Wiper-Motor-/280748915727

7) Blower motor- I looked all over the place and had no luck finding a part# for this in either the stock or a 12 volt version.

I did see an ad where I could us a heavy load ballast resistor. The part# recommended was Napa part # VT6187 (Echlin). I had no luck finding one

but I think I will pull the blower and see if I can find the right motor to replace it rather than go this direction.

8) Lighting-

A) Turn signal flasher Had no luck locating the stock part. Again can pull the part and see if I can find a replacment.

B) Bulbs- I plan to convert all these I can to LED lights with defusers.

9) Relays- Are there any other relays on the car that I'll need to change?

Any help you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Greymare

I want to do it for multiple reason. One of which is theslow cranking. I would like to hear the fix for that though. I also want todrive the car some and if I need a jump for some reason on the road I don'twant to be stuck waiting for someone with a 6 volt setup to jump me off. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

As far as going away from Original I am not concernedwith that any more. I bought this car going to hot rod it and once I figuredout that the whole car (Only missing a hub cap and 1 wiper arm) was there Ifelt bad about that. I decided I would sell the car to someone that would takeit and keep it all original. Well I have tried selling it and trading it forsomething. From all the response I have gotten wanting to trade me a 02 DodgeDakota, 4 wheeler, or pop up camper to name a few and people only offering$3000 for a running complete 100% solid car that has been stored since 1968. Idecided if it's worth no more than that I will keep it and do what I want towith it. I am going to give the original setup a chance and see what I can dowith it before I hot rod it. <o:p></o:p>

There are many threads on the Dodge forum and others that explain how to cure the slow cranking no start problems. It has to do with using good heavy cables and good clean connections and good tune up parts. You can jump start a 6 volt with 12 volts, just don't leave the cables hooked up longer that it takes to start the car. My Plymouth wagon in the pic cranks slowly but starts every time. So I guess they must all crank slower than we are used to compared to todays cars.

I have a 37 Desoto and I only paid $2000 for it several years ago. It had been taken apart and the motor and tranny were missing, but pretty much rust free, so it did get the hot rod makeover with air bags, a 472 inch Hemi and a 5 speed. I would love to have a stock one. Where are you located?

You kind of contradict yourself with not caring about being stock but want to give the original setup a chance. Don take that wrong, its just an observation. Its only original once. I have no problems building a hot rod but would never do it to a running original.

But as you say, it is yours and you should be having fun with it what ever you choose.

post-52542-143142683853_thumb.jpg

Guest Greymare

I will look up the threads on the updates to the wiring. WhenI say "give the original setup a chance" I mean the stock engine andtrans. If I don't like it then it will get some type of swapped out too. I livein North Alabama. Yours looks really nice. <o:p></o:p>

Thanks for the compliment. I am in Oregon so wont be making any offers.

I am still thinking that it would be easier in the long run to leave with the 6 volt system unless you are ready to put in a bigger motor and such.

Then it would be prudent to change out the gauges and wipers and heater (lights ignitions etc.. That's what I did. As long as we are having fun I always say.

post-52542-143142684503_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Call

Why spend a lot of time and money to convert to 12 volt? Just fix the problem with the 6 volt. Start with new battery and ground cables of the correct guage, 0 (ought) or 00 (double ought). If you like you may go to a welding supply and buy a length of cable and make your own. Get a new quality Group 1 battery, NAPA has them, farm/tractor supply stores have them. Be sure all connections are clean bare metal and tight. Complete tune up with spark plugs, spark plug cables, points, condenser, rotor, distributor cap and maybe a new coil. Be sure the generator puts out enough voltage to to keep the battery fully charged, should be at least 7 volts. Be sure ignition circuit wires are in good condition.

Last year I bought a 62 Imperial with the 331 hemi V8. It is a 6 volt system. I did the above to it before ever trying to drive it on the street. It turns over quickly and starts easily every time. Also, fresh non-ethanol gasoline.

Yes, fixing 6 volt issues has been discussed quite a bit. In addition to what Bob states, one good practice is to run the ground from the battery directly to a mounting bolt of the starter (big wire as mentioned of course).

When you ground to the frame, the electricity sometimes has a tortuous journey from that connection to the starter, with corrosion between frame joints, loose rivets, and so forth.

I did this on my Pierce and the difference in cranking speed was amazing.....