Differential oil & radiator flush

jps

I have two questions pertaining to my 29-27:

1) A "check chart" published in 1932 says to use Shell SAE 110 - 160 EP gear oil for the differential. The Buick-supplied lube chart says to use "steam cylinder oil". I found 80W-140 gear oil and 80W-90 gear oil at the local fleet supply - so I am guessing that the 80W-140 is the better choice? Or should I be looking for something else? I just want to add oil to what is already there ... regular small leaks all summer make me think I should replenish what was lost (I did find one bolt loose on the differential).

2) In about 2 months I will get the car ready to sit for the winter. I don't have a good way to drain & flush & reclaim the coolant - is it OK to have a local auto service shop do a normal (modern) flush and fill, or is that too severe for the radiator?

Thanks.

I have two questions pertaining to my 29-27:

1) A "check chart" published in 1932 says to use Shell SAE 110 - 160 EP gear oil for the differential. The Buick-supplied lube chart says to use "steam cylinder oil". I found 80W-140 gear oil and 80W-90 gear oil at the local fleet supply - so I am guessing that the 80W-140 is the better choice? Or should I be looking for something else? I just want to add oil to what is already there ... regular small leaks all summer make me think I should replenish what was lost (I did find one bolt loose on the differential).

2) In about 2 months I will get the car ready to sit for the winter. I don't have a good way to drain & flush & reclaim the coolant - is it OK to have a local auto service shop do a normal (modern) flush and fill, or is that too severe for the radiator?

Thanks.

steam cylinder oil is something else that has a similar consistency to honey - it's actually 600W

I used penrite but mobil also make it as well

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products-categ.php?id_categ=14&id_subcateg=70

Very smooth shifting now

John,

In the diff I use the 80W-140 and I've never had any problems in the several decades I've had the car. Plus it may be thin enough to work it's way up to the pinion bearings.

In the trans I use the 600w. As hidden_hunter says it helps with the shifting. You can get it from Model A suppliers.

Dave

John,

In the diff I use the 80W-140 and I've never had any problems in the several decades I've had the car. Plus it may be thin enough to work it's way up to the pinion bearings.

In the trans I use the 600w. As hidden_hunter says it helps with the shifting. You can get it from Model A suppliers.

Dave

I got mine from a farming supply shop - I assume some of the older machinery must use it as well