1924 Big Six Split Rim Removal Question.

What is the right way to remove the tire on a disc wheel with split rims? I have a 24 Big Six 5 Pass Coupe and it came with a Hercules rim tool but I don't think it is the correct one for my rims. The center of the disc is raised up and it doesn't allow the tool to grab the rim. I'm really not sure how these rims go together so any advise would be helpful.

Wayne

Wayne,

I think tires are really easy to mount and demount on the disc wheels. First you need to deflate the tires by removing the valve stem. The locking ring is sandwiched between the inflated tire and groove in the disc wheel. To remove it, insert a thin pry bar or screwdriver into the notch in the lock ring and pry it down. Take another screwdriver or pry bar and pry the lock ring away from the disc wheel. Continue working the lock ring off in this manner. Once the lock ring is off you can slide the tire assembly off of the disc wheel. If the tire has been on a long time it may be rusted to the wheel and requires persuasion to remove it. I turn the rim over and stand on the tire and bounce my weight until the tire breaks loose.

Reverse the above procedure to reinstall. You need to make absolute certain that the locking ring is fully engaged into the rim before putting air into the tire. People have been severely injured or killed by not heading this advice and having the lock ring fly off as the tire gets up to pressure. Although I have never had a problem, I use a fill hose that locks on to the valve stem then place the tire/wheel assembly with the lock ring facing away from me some distance away and fill remotely, just to be on the safe side. If you are unsure of yourself for reassembly I suggest you take your tire/wheel assembly to a truck repair facility. They use a cage to fill the tire in just in case of an issue.

Scott

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)