How do I remove fender emblems, and horseshoe on a 64 Riviera?

Guest Rev Ron

Guest Rev Ron

Going to paint my 1964 survivor the original "Arctic White" but I need some instruction to remove the fender emblems...I figured out the emblem on the trunk lid....but I'm not certain about the fenders and the horseshoes ...

Please help,

Rev Ron

The "horseshoes" are held on in 3 or 4 places by a friction type of clip that can carefully pried off, at least that's the way they were on my 63. I don't know how the scripts are attached.

Why do you want to paint a survivor? It won't be much of a survivor anymore if you paint it.

Guest Rev Ron

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it...now to get those scripts off... I'd like to clean and buff the paint behind them.

The paint didn't survive as well as the interior, someone must have taped the rear quarter panel on each side, cause there's a perfect 2 inch wide strip of missing paint on one side. I want to get it back to a well kept original classic, even if I'm having to paint match the rear quarter panel.

The fender scripts are held on with well nuts from the inside. If you take the panel off between the fender and the cowl you should be able to see them. Then find some guy whose arms are only about an inch in diameter and a very small socket and hope he doesn't drop anything trying to take them off. IF the car has been painted previously the guy who had it painted may have used a barrel clip to reinstall them. If that's the case you remove them very carefully.

I've never been able to remove the horse shoe moldings with out the clips falling inside the body. Luckily there are (expensive) reproductions available.

FYI, the '63 horse shoes are different from the '64's. The 64 has the first clip on the tip closer to the end than the '63. So for everyone's knowledge, the two years are not interchangeable.

Ed

Guest Rev Ron

Thank you,

I was hoping it was an easier process....I found the fastener clips for $3.98 each online, and Id rather replace them all, to be assured they're fastened well. Fortunately I can buy the bundle, and have many extras to sell to anyone that's reading this ... :)

Appreciate the help!

You guys are awesome !

I must have been very lucky with my clips as I think mine either hung on the body or came off with the molding. I could swear the clips had a lip on them to prevent them from falling into the body. Maybe 64's clops were different?

Yes, it's true the moldings are different but I didn't know it back when I had my car.

Guest Rev Ron

Rex... The trunk script is held on by fasteners that insert inside a small rectangular cut out on the trunk, there are a few.cut outs..wedge underneath the script slowly and carefully . You can buy the fasteners online @ original parts group inc

Going to paint my 1964 survivor the original "Arctic White" but I need some instruction to remove the fender emblems...I figured out the emblem on the trunk lid....but I'm not certain about the fenders and the horseshoes ...

Please help,

Rev Ron

By horseshoes, are you guys referring to the moldings on the rear quarter panel scoops? I'm a newbie and don't know all the Rivy lingo yet.

I guess I need to buy a Riviera dictionary!

Guest CARS, Inc.
Guest Rev Ron

Another question, for the experts.

I'm removing the cowl so I can clean underneath the vent covers...I've already taken the windshield wipers off, including the ring nut and chrome oval housing's ...Once I remove the 5 bolts on the cowl, the bolts closet to the engine's side.... Do I have to remove the window's lower stainless steel trim/moulding, or does the cowl slide out underneath it? I'm hoping I don't, cause then is have to learn how to do that...

Thanks,

Guest Rev Ron

Another question, for the experts.

*Repost*

I'm removing the cowl so I can clean underneath the vent covers...I've already taken the windshield wipers off, including the ring nut and chrome oval housing's ...Once I remove the 5 bolts on the cowl, the bolts closet to the engine's side.... Do I have to remove the window's lower stainless steel trim/moulding, or does the cowl slide out underneath it? I'm hoping I don't, cause then I'd have to learn how to do that...

Thanks,

I spent some time this afternoon in the rear quarters trying to remove my horseshoe trim on my '64 without much success - I removed one in about two hours of work (and that was the easiest one to access). I've been using various small flat screwdrivers and various needle nose pliers (long nose, short nose, 90* bend, etc).

I'm not really clear as to whether I need to get on the back of the clip and pull (without pinching it), or whether I need to pinch it from the sides, or top/bottom. I cannot tell whether the clip simply surrounds the mounting stud, or whether it is indexed into a groove or notch on the mounting stud.

It would be great to know what tools and techniques others have used successfully.

Thanks.

OK Eric: First....douse those babies with WD-40. That makes the job oh so much easier. Then use a curved pry bar to get them pried away from the panel. Use a plastic bondo squeegee where the fulcrum point is so you won't dent the metal.

The Riviera emblems on the front fenders? Again, douse them with WD-40. Remove the baffle (2 5/16" screws) and here's the double sweet part. Use a ratcheting combination wrench with an adjustable head. This really speeds up the process. Put them back? Use the barrel clips. Push those cylinder-like females into the holes of the fenders and follow up with the emblem and pins. Again, douse 'em with WD and go slowly. You'll be happy! Mitch

What I have always done on the kind of emblems that are on the front fenders when I go back with them rather than install barrel clips is to

put a little dab of yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive on each pin on the emblem and put it in the fender with no clips or fasteners. They stay on just

fine and are very easy to remove next time. My GTO emblems on the front fenders of my 69 GTO have been held on this way for 40 years and have been

off and on several times for repaints with no problems whatsoever in removing or reinstalling

post-102001-143142683785_thumb.jpg