1955 buick radiator core

Guest 38buick55special

Guest 38buick55special

Ok so I am sending out to have the machine work done on my 322. I decided to have the radiator boiled and checked. Turns out the core is completely wiped out. I want to have it recored but I can't seem to source one. I DO NOT WANT AN ALUMMINUM RADIATOR. Is the core the same as any other G.M.? I just need the core.

My radiator shop has no problem having cores made to the original specs and appearance. That's not to say it will be cheap but then again you won't have to take out a second mortgage. The last one I had re-cored (fin and tube) was right around $800.................Bob

The last three radiators I had done cost around $700. I have since found somebody less expensive, but their shop is sixty miles away.

The best recore I had done was for my wagon. They used an industrial core that flowed much better than the stock 55.

I can't help you with any other advice than that. If your friend who is doing the work doesn't know how to get a reasonable core in the proper size, I would possibly find a good shop to do the job. Then you have somebody to complain to when it isn't done well.

Merely my opinion.

Isn't the 55 core one of the honeycomb style fins? I don't know where you will find that type of fin except from specialty suppliers. IMO that money would be best spent increasing the number of rows in your core and going with a modern design fin. Chances are the 300 or so people who would potentially see your core at a National Meet will nod in approval of your ingenuity to increase cooling capacity, and not one of the 1000's of others who see it at a Cruise in will ever know the difference.

Guest 38buick55special

Ok guys thanks so much for all your responses, so here is the update...I found a place about 30 miles from my garage that will sell me a "new" radiator for $600. The only problem I have with this is should I have my tanks recored considering they are still in great shape or should I go with the new one off the shelf? I am not sure if his "new one" is a recore or not.

I had the radiator in my 40 Roadmaster recored with 4 rows of tubes for extra cooling. Now it runs cool with no overheating. Before it would tend to run hot especially at higher speeds or idling at a long traffic light. I think it was about $400 about 3 years ago.

Check out the new one for correct look and fit without mods. Normally it is best to use your tanks, brackets, etc. since you know it will fit. Last one I had recored, I took the brackets home after disassembly and blasted and painted, also the tanks for straightening since most radiator shops will make them 'functional' and not necessarily pretty. :D