1927 chrysler 50 starting problem no spark

Guest basketballtitan

Guest basketballtitan

okay one last question I am tryin to start this 1927 chrysler 50 however I cannot get a spark. I have changed the spark plugs as well as cleaned the points and still no spark. Below is a picture of the dial. Now I am thinking the pointer portion which in the picture is at about the 2:00 position needs to be on ignition which is about at the 7:00 position. However I cannot seem to get the pointer portion of the dial to go over to ignition. Is there a trick to get it to go to ignition. I selects across the top for the lights quite easily. any other ideas would be helpful thanks

\

post-102205-14314267265_thumb.jpg

Edited by basketballtitan
additional info (see edit history)

Check the voltage to your coil. These are 6 Volt negative ground systems, you should get a reading of -6 v on the side of the coil that goes into the firewall not to the distributor.

If you don't have any reading the switch,fuse or wiring is the problem.

You can hot wire the car by running a wire from the neg. battery post to the terminal on the coil. Remove the original wire in case there is a preexisting problem.

The coil may also be bad and can be checked along with the condenser in the distributor.

I checked the coil last night and I am getting a reading of 5

Was that with the switch at the on position ? if so then the problem is not with the switch but more likely at the distributor end. Can you turn the switch on, go to the distributor and manually open and close points ? you should get a spark at the points, may be a little hard to see in bright daylight.