Series 11 Oil Pan Gasket

erobinson

It was recommended to drop the oil pan and clean out any 'gunk'.

I'm curious about the gasket..... Is it reusable, or should I just use a high-temp gasket compound, or something else?

Thanks,

Edwin.

It's best to use a paper gasket coated with a gasket compound. Hylomar original seems to be the best stuff around, although what you can buy at NAPA or any local auto parts store ought to be fine.

Buying a gasket from Jeff is the easiest, but I always make my own. You can buy sheets of gasket paper from an auto parts store or some on-line store like McMaster, I'd imagine.

Roll out the paper and lay the cleaned oil pan over the top so you can trace out the outside perimeter. With scissors cut out the gasket.

To get the inside edge, you can press with your fingers along the inside (keeping the outside edge in place) and the indent you see can be cut out with scissors again.

As for all the holes, holding the gasket in place you can carefully use a small ball-peen hammer to tap on each hole. The edge of the hole in the pan will cut a hole in the gasket. Works pretty good.

You can also use the ball-peen hammer to cut the entire gasket, inside and outside edges as well as holes. Be warned --- you'll probably screw it up the first time ! But it's a good skill to learn because you'll never be dependent on someone else for your gaskets. (Except head gaskets).

--Scott