Designing the 1963 Buick Riviera - The Style Endures

CheezeMan

I have some pictures from the same era and studio that show the car with Oldsmobile, and Pontiac name plates on them as well as the LaSalle and Centurion name plates. I'll have to see if I can scan that magazine for those pictures. I'm afraid they'll be rather small.

Ed

Wow, thanks for the great read with some awesome pictures Chuck. Interesting to read that Ned Nickles was behind the Riviera styling. I have always felt Ned never got due credit for what all he did. When I bring his name up in conversations of 50's Buick designs I most often get asked "Who is Ned Nickles?

Notice how "low" these models sit. I have always like the rear tail lights of the 63-64's. Riviera's are the most beautifully designed and sexiest cars ever built. uhhh, right after the 54 Roadmaster I mean. ;)

Wow, thanks for the great read with some awesome pictures Chuck. Interesting to read that Ned Nickles was behind the Riviera styling. I have always felt Ned never got due credit for what all he did. When I bring his name up in conversations of 50's Buick designs I most often get asked "Who is Ned Nickles?

Notice how "low" these models sit. I have always like the rear tail lights of the 63-64's. Riviera's are the most beautifully designed and sexiest cars ever built. uhhh, right after the 54 Roadmaster I mean. ;)

That's a Freudian slip if ever I read one. ;)

Also notice the pancake hood. The front lip above the grille is a separate piece, not a part of the hood as on the production car. Bill Mitchell's Silver Arrow I had this, as well as the single hidden headlight in the fender pods. Several of these shots are a completed car, not just a clay model. To answer Bleach's question of what happened to it, I think it became Silver Arrow I. Just my opinion. Thanks for posting this Chuck.

Edited by steelman (see edit history)

I'm pretty sure that Silver Arrow 1 was a car pulled from the production line. But in order to get the pancake hood on SA1, the front fenders had to be lengthened two inches. If anyone thinks that SA1 looks longer that a production, that's why. It also has a two inch chopped top - fiberglass. And if you look really closely, you'll see that the top is peaked down the center.

I'm pretty sure that Silver Arrow 1 was a car pulled from the production line. But in order to get the pancake hood on SA1, the front fenders had to be lengthened two inches. If anyone thinks that SA1 looks longer that a production, that's why. It also has a two inch chopped top - fiberglass. And if you look really closely, you'll see that the top is peaked down the center.

Ed is correct. SAI was plucked out of the factory production line. It was body number FB43. I have pics of the tags, including the special paint tag which reads "Dupont Silver Fire Frost - GM Styling Staff" (plus the paint code numbers).