1965 Olds F-85 Cutlass 330 Oil Drain Plug

dgpnaples

Yesterday I went to change my oil in my 1965 Old F-85. I put it up on the lift and to my surprise I saw a drain plug that I have never seen before. I have tried to attach the photos but the file is too large. I will try later to attach.

I didn't have the correct socket to remove but I took a vice grip plyer and it fit perfectly around the drain plug and with one turn it loosened right up.

I would like to know if this is a "correct" factory drain plug or is this an aftermarket part?

Thanks in advance, Dean.

I would like to know if this is a "correct" factory drain plug or is this an aftermarket part?

If you are talking about the drain plug with the eight-point internal wrenching feature, yes that is factory. There are special eight-point sockets, but I simply use the bare end of a 1/2" drive ratchet, which exactly fits four of the eight points in the drain plug. Never had a problem doing it this way. I actually use a short (3") extension on the ratchet.

It also looks like a Torx bit. See photo.

Sorry, no.

See the photo of the plug. That's an EIGHT-POINT recess, as noted above. Torx bits have SIX points. Also note that Torx bits didn't exist in 1965 (they weren't invented until 1967). And finally, the plug has straight lines between the points, as if you took two 1/2" square drive bits and clocked one 45 deg from the other, which is exactly how the eight-point drive was created.