Side Mount Covers for a '30 or '31

CarNucopia

I was looking through the August Bugle and noticed the 1931 phaeton in the magazine has covers on it's side mounts. Below is a picture. Does anyone know anything about these? Were they period accessories, or maybe something that came on the bigger cars? I'd love to get a set for my '30.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-71232-143142669219_thumb.jpg

I would say, the chance of finding any from early thirties are quite remote. I think they likely were provided in all originally and not accessories. The problem is there were early damaged and likely discarded. From time to time I have seen late 30s available, with the side pieces on 3/4 round to fit the fender.

I have mine for my '32 but they were not restored, as I was afraid after restoration, when mounting the fenders, or covers, could be scratched. I also like the open look, as is. But I am not willing to get rid of the originals. Good luck with the search

John

Thanks John. Actually, I'm interested in the hard covers. My point is it appears the car didn't have them before the restoration, so presumably the owner found them somewhere.

Cloth covers can surely be made, as long as the tires and wheels are together,. Any good shop can make them, I would think.

John

Most wheel covers are hand made today. Buy an english wheel and have fun making your own. Finding a metal working shop to produce a set will be expensive. I've watched a local shop make one for a Packard. They probably had 40 hours in that project.

Bob Engle

Bob, I think you have me mistaken for someone who is willing to invest a bunch of time and effort. :)

Most wheel covers are hand made today. Buy an english wheel and have fun making your own. Finding a metal working shop to produce a set will be expensive. I've watched a local shop make one for a Packard. They probably had 40 hours in that project.

Bob Engle

• 1 month later...

Does he have only one? I'll need a pair.

Thanks

My customer Ladd McCluskey who we did the 32 57S for bought one thinking he was buying one for the 32 as we had one already. It actually looks the same just is bigger. I think he is looking at selling that one. His number is 605-951-0931.

Guest outlaw car man

The picture from the Bugle looks like a rear mount spare- You would probably need welled fenders if you hadn't figured that out- There is a lot of stuff on the side-mounts, at least in 33. The sidemount apparatus is something else, knobs, springs, adjusters, three locks and keyed wheel locks Northfield Forming was talking about reproducing the trim pieces. Also they were two piece covers. Be a fun search-

Thanks. I'll give him a call.

My customer Ladd McCluskey who we did the 32 57S for bought one thinking he was buying one for the 32 as we had one already. It actually looks the same just is bigger. I think he is looking at selling that one. His number is 605-951-0931.

These are definitely on the side.

The picture from the Bugle looks like a rear mount spare- You would probably need welled fenders if you hadn't figured that out- There is a lot of stuff on the side-mounts, at least in 33. The sidemount apparatus is something else, knobs, springs, adjusters, three locks and keyed wheel locks Northfield Forming was talking about reproducing the trim pieces. Also they were two piece covers. Be a fun search-

post-71232-143142769569_thumb.jpg