Notable speedsters

Steve_Mack_CT

While lots of great projects are documented in this forum,This thread would be dedicated to speedsters seen at events, etc. that are worth posting here - much like the "custom bodied Packard thread" or "Prewar Mercedes thread" elsewhere in this forum - they have been successful, maybe this one will be also.

Here is a Corbin that I understand was rebodied at some point in the 1950s. This car was at the Klingberg Vintage festival here in CT in June - a fantastic show for early stuff. Both it's long term and more recent owner were present, and they claimed to have had the car up to around 60 MPH at some point. The car, I believe is out of Vermont.

post-50141-143142669225_thumb.jpg

post-50141-143142669249_thumb.jpg

post-50141-143142669271_thumb.jpg

Hey A.J. thanks for posting - I am looking for anything that is very interesting, has historical value and/or great proportions, etc. - stealing the idea of yours and Dave's threads eleswhere. I am amazed at how prevalent speedsters were both in period, and even at certain times later. I have been taking pics/making notes on a few, whether factory bodied, built in period or built later on - no matter.

Yes, I really like the above example as well, quite a story behind it - and look forward to seeing it in person at some point! :D

Keep them coming... whether it's period correct or not, new ideas are always a good thing for guys that are building or restoring. I love the big cruisers too. There has to be lots of big old frames out there that have been overlooked by others doing more traditional restorations.

Keep them coming... whether it's period correct or not, new ideas are always a good thing for guys that are building or restoring.

I'll agree, I very much would like to build one, and its' good to see what's been built before. Besides, they're so nice to just to look at!

Keith

Pope Hartford - I do not know much about the history of this one and would love to know if this is a factory bodied car or not. I have seen other Pope Speedsters but I do not believe they have the bodywork this one has where the cowl sweeps back. I like the all black as well, wish the owner was around to chat with.

A.J. - yep I have pics of that car and a good story on it's discovery in one of my books, need to post up some pics of that one as well. BTW - you would look rather sporting in a nice Bearcat...

post-50141-143142672825_thumb.jpg

post-50141-143142672846_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This here is something.

1930 Packard Bentley "Mavis"

post-96351-143142673621_thumb.jpg

Based on a 1930 8-liter Bentley chassis the car uses a V12 42 liter Packard 4M 2500 engine out of a PT Boat. The engine belches out 1100 Kw and 2700 Nm of torque plus a lot of fire. This car is massive with a curb wight of 2.4 tons and did I mention the Dustbin-sized supercharger that turns 2.4 times the speed of the engine and that the inlet manifold is 165 mm in diameter!!!!! I really want to see this in real life and take it for a spin.

post-96351-1431426736_thumb.jpg

post-96351-143142673605_thumb.jpg

post-96351-143142673607_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carsnz123
pics (see edit history)

A couple of pics of the Edsel Ford Speedster, courtesy of the Internet. This car's story is featured in a lot of Ford related books, and also in one of Cottter's excellent "The XXX in the Barn" books. I believe it was rediscovered not too long ago in FL, and assume the up to date photo below is post discovery. Note - I see by A.J.s post both the red car below and his pic appear to be current, so one must be a reproduction, in seeing who is driving the black car, assume the red one is a recreation, regardless, a very cool car indeed. Edsel Ford was known to have a great eye and I wonder how much he was involved in the design of this one, which I think is what makes this an important speedster/special..

Also, while I do not know a lot about this '29 Stutz, it is believed to be a repro racer that I snapped at Lime Rock a couple years ago. It was cool to see it run.

BTW the Schumacher Special in post #2 is Stutz powered, and currently undergoing a full restoration.

Dwight - the T Speedster will have a hand pump as well as where we live is hilly enough that I think I will need it...

Love the mix of earlier speedsters and later speedster/specials; if it is prewar, and interesting, let's post 'em.

post-50141-143142673721_thumb.jpg

post-50141-143142673723_thumb.jpg

post-50141-143142673725_thumb.jpg

post-50141-143142673752_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
Updated info on Edsel's car (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

A.J. does not miss much....

Seems like a great buy at that price - an interesting body, I like where he added a cowl vent, among other details.

Just goes to show you can do OK even at name auctions. There were two decent, definately automotive spotlights at Bonham's Greenwich this year, I assumed were going to meet or blow by the estimate - and we have a lot of other things to buy for the speedster first so I passed on bidding. Mistake - they both went for less than $200 each and I would have been happy with either...

In the January 1914 issue of Country Life in America, Joan Newton Cuneo reflected about her racing history, the AAA ban and the future of automobiles:

"During the three-day Mardi-Gras meet on the dirt track in New Orleans in 1909, competing with the greatest men drivers, I was fortunate to break some records, winning the gold trophy for the American amateur championship, two silver cups, a Rockwood vase, and a gold Klaxon horn. The surprise was a shock for too much of the men, and the American Automobile Association ruled that no more women would be allowed to compete in their sanctioned events."

"..on the Motor Parkway in 1911 drove a half mile in 16 1/10 seconds, which is a rate of 111.5 miles an hour. . . Living over the trials and tribulations as well of the joys and triumphs of the eighteen automobiles that I owned, I cannot help wondering what the next ten years may bring forth - for surely it seems that the car of to-day has reached nearly the top notch of comfort in every respect, and we wonder how some of them can be improved upon."

Wouldn't she be surprised if she took a couple of laps today with Danica Patrick!

Did you guys see this T speedster?

Sold for $6k...not bad for what they got. I like where the paint scheme is going. I can see continuing that curved line to the rad cap on both sides, and doing the front half in a silver or blue (to match the seats) with gloss black on the back in single stage (not too glossy) paint. I can also see the front half looking good in a red, orange or antique green. Always the dreamer...

• 1 month later...

This Mercer really defines the speedster genre to me, along with the contemporary Stutz Bearcat. I took a few pics of this at the Dragone tent a couple weeks ago @ Hershey, and now see where it sold for $1.6 M - interesting history, as I am sure is the case with all Mercers of this vintage..

http://www.dragoneclassic.com/Auctions/fall-auction-2014/1912-mercer-type-35c-raceabout-ex-david-v-uihlein/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest 914Driver
1914 Studebaker rebodied in 1914 at the Troy NY carriage co.

Troy had a lot of stuff going on until recently, but they had a Stude factory? Or was this a 1914 "Tuner Shop"?

Dan

Troy had a lot of stuff going on until recently, but they had a Stude factory? Or was this a 1914 "Tuner Shop"?

Dan,

I quess you could call it a 1914 Tuner shop. It looks like they rebodied cars into more appealing, sporty cars, just like modern shops! They didn't actually build Studebakers.

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Guest 914Driver

Ah, thank you. There were quite a few manufacturers in New York state in the 20s & 30s, some just a flash in the pan.

Dan

Guest Kelly k

It spent all its life in the Olsen family until I bought it. The first owner bought it new. His father worked at the Troy carriage co. and was the builder of the Dormandy cars a decade earlier . It never left Troy NY for 100 years

Fantastic find! (skipped right over your post #27 I guess) - Incredible this car remained with one family for that length of time and does not even seem like anyone attempted to refurbish or restore it. Being in the Northeast I hope to see it sometime -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289820[/ATTACH] photo: Bonhams Auction

This might get you into the "Speedster Club", gentlemen, and it's for sale at Amelia Island March 12th! More data at Peerless For Sale Department thread, AACA Peerless Forum.

*** This six-cylinder Peerless goes up for sale tomorrow in Florida ***

The house is betting on $250,000-350,00O. I was going to guess $310K, but since it apparently has an 825 cubic inch engine, I'm going to guess $510K. There is no way to know what the bids will be....but that's the largest size engine ever put in a production car. Ever. Pierce-Arrow did tie that, but no one exceeded it. So maybe it will break the top Peerless sale price....which is $469,000, for a 4-cylinder.

Anyone else want to guess?

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)