Packaging 101 thread suggestion

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

I am absolutely amazed at the "less than ideal" packaging jobs I have seen over the years, especially since so much of it is common sense, in my opinion. If people would simply follow some basic "packaging protocol", they could avoid possible damage claims/disputes with the buyer.

I propose that we have a thread at the top of the Mall section for packaging info as a helpful tool to ensure people understand the basics on how to best package car parts for shipping.

Regarding myself, I have been shipping sensitive electronic devices here in Silicon Valley for close to 35 years and I have learned a few do's and dont's on pkg & shipping and I would be more than willing to give my input.

Ronnie/Padgett ?

Edited by Kitskaboodle (see edit history)

I agree that this is a problem but not everyone ships...... a big percentage are just buyers. I thought I had a photo of an antenna sent to me for repair....when it arrived about 4 inches of the mast was protruding from the box, luckily it was not bent.

Since you have years of experience, why don't you start with some simple suggestions (rules). My first rule....after you have it boxed, shake it and if it rattles, it is not good enough.

When I'm on the receiving end of a box that rattles I'm pretty confident I'll soon be pouring out some pieces.

On the other hand, some folks use so much tape it takes you an hour to get to the goodies. I've actually totally dulled #11 exacto blades by the time I got thru all the duct tape.

Guest Corvanti

when i was selling quite a few Corvette, Studebaker and other car parts online a few years back - i found that packing should be done from the "inside out" depending on the part. most got bubble wrap to fit the box. some got "peanuts", some got wadded up newspaper. depended on the part.

for the outside, it got packing tape where needed - to seal only the "openings" - never duct tape.

i never got a complaint - whether USPS, UPS or Fed-EX.

hope this helps...:)

I like lots of shipping tape. Tape is what gives the package strength. You never want to leave an opening large enough for the UP$ gorillas to get their fingers in or they will rip the package open trying to pick it up that way. Providing NO hand holds on the top or sides makes them bend over an pick the package up by the bottom like they should. If opening the package is a problem you need a better knife.

I like to get a can of spray foam insulation. I protect the parts in plastic, wrap or bags, and strategically spray dabs of the foam between each part on all sides, and the box, so they stay separated from each other. I find it a lot faster to prepare than balling newspaper, and parts tend to move around if packed in foam peanuts.

Guest Kitskaboodle

Some good replies here. I plan on giving a "suggested" list on do's and donts's (with pics) later. I'm fighting to get two cars smogged right now so it will have to wait for now.

In the meantime, here's one helpful tidbit I learned: Cardboard, clear sealing tape and a box cutter knife are your FRIENDS when it comes to protecting your parts and the box itself. There will be times the item you are packing comes within an inch or so of the inner box wall. This is what I call "risky flying ". It will probably be ok but could get damaged if the box is crushed inward. You must assume the worst case scenario that it will be handled very roughly! In this situation you can cut squares of cardboard and tape them to the inner panels (sides) of the box to give it extra strength, effectively making a single wall box a double wall.

Edited by Kitskaboodle (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

You can tell people how to package until you are blue in the face, fact is, those that do do those that don't don't. I don't think people don't know how to pack it's just easier and quicker to toss it in and send it. You're probably preaching to the choir here

Guest Kitskaboodle
You can tell people how to package until you are blue in the face, fact is, those that do do those that don't don't. I don't think people don't know how to pack it's just easier and quicker to toss it in and send it. You're probably preaching to the choir here

The Packaging 101 thread (if implemented) will be for those who A) are looking for some tips/guidelines on how to best package something and B) who care about their item getting to their customer without incident. Another underlying reason to put this thread at the top of the Buy & Sell section is to remind people that proper packaging of sold items is a requirement for people who use the Buy & Sell section. It is also important for it to be there just to say that it is "posted". As for people who throw stuff in a box: your always going to have people like that. In those situations it's "Buyer Beware".

Kit