New member and new owner of 1926 Buick Standard Coupe.

AzBob

Hi All,

I am a proud new owner of a 1926 Buick Model 26 Standard Coupe. The car is in generally good shape. Plan on restoring on an as needed basis.

The car is fitted with aftermarket friction type shock absorbers. I am considering removing them since their functionality is questionable. Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

post-101134-143142665239_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Bob, looks like a cool car. Love that grill!

Can't help you much on the shock question. My original ( I think) shocks are still on my car under a couple pounds of grease. They are on my list to redo this winter.

Good luck and let us know how things progress.

Bob,

Nice car, love those coupes.

As to the shocks you could adapt some shocks from a 28 or later model Buick. In 28 they did not have the solid link that you have on yours. They used a heavy strap and the shocks only worked in one direction. Within a few years Buick used a solid link similar to what you have and those shocks work in both directions. I don't think they would be too hard to find.

Dave

Dave is correct. The original "rebound shocks" had a fabric strap that often rotted-out. That is most probably why the friction shocks were installed.

The benefit of friction shocks is that they are adjustable and work in both directions.

So, unless you plan to have your car judged for originality, you could keep the friction shocks as a period correct upgrade.

Thanks all for your kind comments and advice on the friction shock absorbers. I have decided to rebuild and retain them as a "period correct upgrade".

Got to thinking that these shocks would probably help with the stability of the vehicle. :) Don't want any "death wobble"!

Bob