1958 Engine installation

frame30

The Buick manual is great in most cases, but I am still puzzled by the engine installation instructions. There is a very clear diagram in the manual about positioning the transmission. They talk about positioning the triangular flywheel but there are no pictures. The flywheel has the numbers 1,5,9 stamped inpost-46961-143142663553_thumb.jpg to it. Which one goes to the top?

• 4 weeks later...
The Buick manual is great in most cases, but I am still puzzled by the engine installation instructions. There is a very clear diagram in the manual about positioning the transmission. They talk about positioning the triangular flywheel but there are no pictures. The flywheel has the numbers 1,5,9 stamped in[ATTACH=CONFIG]263552[/ATTACH] to it. Which one goes to the top?

Dear All: No one has installed an engine in a 58 Buick? MH

It probably does not matter, unless some orientations interfere with torque converter drain plugs if equipped. What does matter is the flex-plate attachement to the crankshaft. All nailheads are externally balanced and the flex-plate can be installed 6 different ways; 5 are wrong. That small hole between the bolts at the top will fit over a dowel in the end of the crankshaft or line up with a hole where the dowel is supposed to be.

Also, look on the edge of the flex and the cover of the torque converter for a mark, usually a center punch mark. Most nailhead mechanics make this mark before removing an engine from a car. If the engine is from another car, he adds a second mark next to the previous mark, thereby two marks will be evident on both the flex and the cover in the new installation. If the flex is properly installed on the crank, (see Old-Tank comments) and a vibration does occur after startup- The flex can be advanced to the next position on the cover. However the engine will have to be moved far enough for the flex to clear the screw heads holding the cover in place. An alternative is to add a counterweight to the cover holding screws on trial and error.

My guess is that the marks you show are positions around the clock facing the torque converter. If the engine was removed with the #1 cylinder in the top dead position, this method would work also. Again make sure the flex is properly bolted to the crank.

Dan

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

In the 56 Manual there is a picture of the torque sequence for the cover of the torque converter. I believe it also discusses how to determine which of the 20 +,- bolts should be #1. Since one of the #'s on your flex plate is a 9, I would not think the numbers refer to any piston orientation.

• 2 weeks later...

And yes indeed there were punch marks right where you said, Dan. So now I can jack it up and hopefully get underneath enough to do the install. Tailgate went on perfectly this weekend but I discovered I am missing one of the E's in Estate Wagon. On to another search! Again, thanks for the notes. Cheers. Michael.