What to use for padding between the wood & the roof material?

Guest Nomosnow

Guest Nomosnow

Labaron shows a 1/4" thick piece of foam the goes on the wood,then the roof material. (doesn't look like much.)

I've seen some that used some sort of cotton material. What sort of padding do YOU recommend and why?

Unless they changed their materials, the LeBaron Bonney top kit for station wagons does not use foam padding. The first thing that goes down is the Cotton Drill Inner Liner, this is the material you see when you look up thru the roof slats. Next goes the Header Wadding Pad, only on the header, and last the T-65 Vinyl Topping. LeBaron recommends heating the rear corners but I found that the T-65 roof material goes on best on real hot days. I let it sit for about an hour and the heat allows it to pull tight.

Don't use foam. Cotton batting is the best. When the furniture industry buys foam, it's classified as years, such as "ten year foam", which means it will start disintegrating at some point around ten years. Add the heat that is generated by a black top in the sun, not a good idea....

And the suggestion to install top in hot sun is absolutely correct, makes a tight fit.....