1955 Buick 46R - Vent window disassembly questions (replace seals and glass)

buick55

hi all,

i am restoring right now a 1955 buick special riviera (46R).

at some points its really difficult and i have only a big :confused: over my head.

now i have the problem wanting to replace the main seals at the vent windows and one glass.

i screwed off all screws and also demount the gear box but i did not find out how to disassembley the whole vent window in parts to replace the seals without damaging something.

can someone help me or has an explosion view of it?

that would help much.

thanks

Now that you have it on your work bench, detach the regulator from the frame (2 phillips screws top inside) and from the vent wing shaft (bolt with 7/16(?) head). You should then be able to move it down to release the top pivot from the frame. If your old seal is hard and crusty, you may have to remove all remnants of the old rubber, including removing rubber attaching screws. Reassembly is easier with new vent rubber.

The regulators are usually broken or will break soon. They are not readily available, unless you find NOS. But they can be repaired and lubricated. If the plate on the backside of shaft is not there, it will be in the bottom of the door. Even if present, file off the riveted areas to disassemble for cleaning. Drill and tap to assemble with new screws.

Willie

yeah thats what i have done, regulator is detached (and of course on one the backplate is missing) and all screws from the frame are off.

but right now i cant get the vent part out of the frame, thats my problem.

when i understand right i should completely remove all old rubber and then it should work.

thats what i try next, thanks for your help so far willie :)