1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302

*SOLD*

Wow.

This car is owned by a friend of my wife whom she met through our local Mustang club. He called up the shop and I answered and he wanted to talk to Melanie and only Melanie. So this is her first car in our new business and its a pretty big deal. Here's the important stuff: real-deal Boss 302, matching-numbers drivetrain, 50,665 original miles, original interior, one repaint in the original Calypso Coral.

Have I said wow, yet?

I won't go into the Boss 302 story, but this is my personal favorite Mustang of all time. Forget big blocks, our motto at the Corvette race shop where I used to work was, "I can get my small block car around the track faster than your big block car," and this stunning little pony is proof of that. The gentleman who owns it has enjoyed it for the past 15 years and is responsible for that jaw-dropping paint job, which was done twice because the first attempt wasn't good enough for him. It's simply stunning. I'm sure there are flaws on it somewhere, but he wasn't telling and I didn't find many worth noting. They replaced the passenger's door with a California piece simply because it had been repaired at some point and didn't fit perfectly enough, and the quarters are new because someone hammered the lips pretty badly back in the 70s for some oversized tires. Otherwise the sheetmetal is original and still carries the matching VIN stamped into the important pieces. It has never been wrecked or rusty and the stripes were installed by the MCA head judge using factory templates and measurements, making this car the bar by which other northeast Ohio members measure their own hardware.

The interior, except for the carpets, is 100% original, which tells you all you need to know about how well-preserved this car really is. The seats, door panels, and headliner are excellent with only the most minor signs of age and use. The gauges are a little faded, but the woodgrained dash panels are bright and clear and the dash pad is quite good. An auxiliary oil pressure gauge was installed to keep an eye on that 302, which is probably worth a sizable chunk of the car's value all by itself. There's an AM/FM radio in the dash, which was a somewhat rare option in 1970, and the Hurst T-handle shifter was standard equipment on the Boss. Fold-down rear seats make the fastbacks practical and the trunk is nicely detailed with a correct mat and original space-saver spare, and it's spotless under that mat.

The engine is, of course, a 302 cubic inch V8 that's 100% matching numbers and even retains its original emissions controls and rev limiter (disconnected). It was pulled and rebuilt sometime before the current owner bought it and detailed at that time, and in the course of the last 15 years, he estimates that he's driven it about 4000 miles, so it's still pretty tidy. Not perfect, but pretty darned good. It runs superbly and snarls like a race-bred engine should. No modifications internally or externally save for a set of aftermarket mufflers that sound killer. The chassis was detailed a few years ago, but shows signs of being driven today, but no trouble spots. It should probably be sitting on some Wide Oval tires, but the staggered BFG radials look pretty butch on those gorgeous Magnum 500 wheels, don't you think?

Stunning. I'm at a loss for words with this car. I'm not a muscle car guy, but this car hits all the right buttons. We're asking $74,900, and if you've been watching Boss 302 prices lately, a six-figure sale is probably going to happen at this year's Scottsdale auctions. These are red hot.

And by the way, that last photo is probably the best picture I've ever taken. Totally by accident, but I'm pretty pleased with it. Thanks for looking!

post-31138-143142660029_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142660034_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142660039_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142660044_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314266005_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142660055_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314266006_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142660066_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142660072_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142660078_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142660084_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314266009_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

• 9 months later...