LOCATE ANTENNA BASE '53-'54

Guest Rivlark

Guest Rivlark

Hi Everyone

This is my first post on this forum and I hope someone has an answer.

I am looking to install a NOS chrome antenna base on the left fender of a '54. There has never been an antenna there. I would like to know where to locate this. I understand the 1953's and '54's used the same antenna base. It is long and skinny and contoured to fit somewhere on the curve of the fender.

If anyone has a '53 or '54 with a factory antenna, could you tell me, at least, how far the base sits on the fender, from the crack between the door and the fender? Also, the distance from the edge of the fender, at the hood, to the side of the antenna base, preferably at the actual antenna shaft location?

This information would help me locate the base on the fender. I suppose it would be extremely unlikely that anyone would have a locating templet...but it worth asking. A photocopy of that would be really super!

Thanks in advance!

John H.

a 1953-54 pontiac antenna base, standard or power antenna, has nothing in common with a 1953-54 chevy. john, i'll go out to my 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina and take measurements and pictures of the left front fender, still has the factory holes for mounting a standard antenna, i don't have the standard antenna anymore and i have a NOS 1953-54 pontiac power antenna assembly waiting for me to enlarge the mast tube hole in the fender to the right size for the power antenna.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator, POCI

Contact: chevsofthefortys.com/antenna for template. Same as Pontiac.

why larry w., would you say something to advise others, that is 100% incorrect ?. the only two antenna parts that 49 to 53 pontiacs share with 49 to 53 OLDSMOBILES, is two nuts, group 9.647 p/n 514371, 514422, nothing antenna related is shared with chevy.

charles l. coker

tech advisor coordinator

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)

hi larry w., ok, lol, i hope you'll understand that too many times people think that pontiac and chevy shared alot more than they actually did back then, body wise, all the glass related parts are indentical, pontiac and chevy had to agree on the same transmission hump in the floor pan, pontiac and olds shared the same differential/ rearend, pontiac did adapt to the chevy powerglide automatic trans after the hydra-matic plant fire in august/1953, some 17,000+ 1953 pontiacs were assembled with the powerglide trans. quite a bit of the 1953 saginaw safety power steering part were shared between chevy-pontiac-olds and buick.

charles l. coker

tech advisor coordinator

Guest Rivlark
[ATTACH=CONFIG]263328[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]263329[/ATTACH]hi, i went out and took pictures and measurements, rear small hole is 2" from inside edge of fender and 3" forward from the rear edge of fender. the larger hole for the mast tube is 2 1/2" from inside edge and 3" forward from the small hole.

'

WOW! That's great info, Charles. Thanks much...just what I needed. I do have a follow-up question....the measurements, especially on the large mast hole....are they to the center of the hole or the edge of the hole? Thanks again for your help!

hi larry w., i know that the olds 98 series shared major body sheetmetal parts and glass with buick and cadillac. chevy and pontiac shared with each other. small series olds 88's may have been grouped in with chevy and pontiacs, i know that the 1949-1950 olds 76 and 88's had same body parts as 1949 to 1952 chevy and pontiacs. i can check group and part numbers that you may have with my 1953, and 1955 GM interchange book when i get home, about 4-5 days.

charles l. coker

tech advisor coordinator

WOW! That's great info, Charles. Thanks much...just what I needed. I do have a follow-up question....the measurements, especially on the large mast hole....are they to the center of the hole or the edge of the hole? Thanks again for your help!

hi, i always measure holes center to center, you're welcome, if you need a standard pontiac antenna fender bezel, i have several laying around, lol.

charles l. coker

tech advisor coordinator

depending on what part of the floor pan that you need, you should be able to use either an olds 88 hardtop or two door sedan floor pan. try calling jerry turner at turner's auto wrecking, fresno, calif. 559-237-0918, closed sunday & monday.

charles l. coker

1953 tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

hi larry w., i know that the olds 98 series shared major body sheetmetal parts and glass with buick and cadillac. chevy and pontiac shared with each other. small series olds 88's may have been grouped in with chevy and pontiacs, i know that the 1949-1950 olds 76 and 88's had same body parts as 1949 to 1952 chevy and pontiacs. i can check group and part numbers that you may have with my 1953, and 1955 GM interchange book when i get home, about 4-5 days.

charles l. coker

tech advisor coordinator

hi larry w, i got home, and i just checked into my 1953 pontiac interchangeable parts list book, doesn't show that olds would have the same floor pan as 1953 pontiacs & chevies.