Just wanted to say Hi to everyone and show you my car

Hello, I just found this web site and have found a lot of good information. Last week I purchased my Uncle's car. He died in 2005 and my cousin put his car in the garage and left there. Last week he called me and ask me if I would be interested in buying Uncle Bob's car. My uncle bought the car new in 1956. I couldn't resist the opportunity to keep the car in the family so I bought it and brought it home. It needs a lot of work in the interior and I sure could use a set of seat covers for it if anyone knows where I can find some. Here are a couple of pics. post-102300-143142659021_thumb.jpg

post-102300-143142658744_thumb.jpg

post-102300-143142659004_thumb.jpg

post-102300-14314265901_thumb.jpg

post-102300-143142659016_thumb.jpg

It bears a very strong resemblance to my car. Is the paint original? Going by the emblems on the sides of the front fenders and the dual exhaust pots in the rear bumper it has at least a 292 T-bird engine.

There may be someone who sells seat kits for it but I haven't really looked since my car's interior is fine.

Do you mind posting more photos, including the interior, engine and trunk?

You can see more photos of my car in my profile/gallery.

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. It has a 292 with a teapot 4 barrel carb and duel exhaust. Everyone around here thinks I should show the car but I want to wait until I can get the inside finished. The dash is clean but the seats are in bad shape. I will try to get some pictures to show you. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any under the hood photos? I know you you don't want to share any interior shots. How bad is the interior? I bet it isn't as bad as you think.

I'll try to take a few shots under the hood this week. Also I have just emptied the trunk that was full of parts so I will get a few pictures of the trunk also. I just bought a set of seat covers from a guy on this web site. They are NOS for a 57 Fairlane but I think they will fit until I get the money to do a full restoration on the interior. Got any idea why I have a hard time starting my car when it has sit for a few days? Thanks

I had the same problem. It seems the fuel would either evaporate or maybe leak out from the bowl. Another possibility could be the fuel leaks back through the fuel pump. It didn't make any difference whether the fuel had ethanol or not. To get around my problem I would prime the carburetor a little before starting. Do this at your own risk.

I switched to a different carburetor on my car this weekend so I am experimenting to see if this changes anything. I also have a new fuel pump ready to go in if necessary.

I had the same problem. It seems the fuel would either evaporate or maybe leak out from the bowl. Another possibility could be the fuel leaks back through the fuel pump. It didn't make any difference whether the fuel had ethanol or not. To get around my problem I would prime the carburetor a little before starting. Do this at your own risk.

I switched to a different carburetor on my car this weekend so I am experimenting to see if this changes anything. I also have a new fuel pump ready to go in if necessary.

What carburetor did you switch to? Has that fixed your problem? Let me know if you change fuel pumps and that stops your flow back. Thanks for your reply

I switched to a 57 4100 Autolite and 57 manifold. I'm still fine tuning it. It's a common swap to use a 57 Y block manifold since you can you many late model carburetors. I chose to use a 57 combination to make it period "correct". It was a bit more effort to go the way I did. There are easier ways to do it if you're not worried about appearance. I just got fed up with my teapot after way too many problems which included a minor fire and and more recently a nearly averted fire. I got stranded twice needing towing. They don't call them "firepots" and towering inferno's" for nothing. These are finicky carburetors and I have a feeling they don't like sitting for extended periods of time of not being run. I recall my wife's grandfather, who had one of these cars years ago, (also by the way worked at Ford) always carried a fire extinguisher close by. I never asked him why but I assumed he was just a very careful person anticipating anything.

I switched to a 57 4100 Autolite and 57 manifold. I'm still fine tuning it. It's a common swap to use a 57 Y block manifold since you can you many late model carburetors. I chose to use a 57 combination to make it period "correct". It was a bit more effort to go the way I did. There are easier ways to do it if you're not worried about appearance. I just got fed up with my teapot after way too many problems which included a minor fire and and more recently a nearly averted fire. I got stranded twice needing towing. They don't call them "firepots" and towering inferno's" for nothing. These are finicky carburetors and I have a feeling they don't like sitting for extended periods of time of not being run. I recall my wife's grandfather, who had one of these cars years ago, (also by the way worked at Ford) always carried a fire extinguisher close by. I never asked him why but I assumed he was just a very careful person anticipating anything.

That could be part of my problem. This car has set in the garage for 9 years without being started. My Uncle bought the car new in 1956 and died in 2005. My Cousin put the car in his garage and left it there. He wanted the garage space and ask me if I wanted to keep the car in the family and that is how I got it. I've started replacing electrical parts to get it running again and now I am on the fuel system. Thanks for your help and replies.