youth movement

Guest jwb65

Guest dwhiteside64
OK Riviera People: My son, now 21, and every one of his homies couldn't care less about old cars. As a matter of fact he didn't get his license until past his 18th birthday. Talking to several of his friend's parents this seems to be a very common trend these days. mitch

It's unfortunate but this looks to be the trend these days. Like Pete said there is a virtual world today that didn't exist when we were kids. I personally think this new generation is missing out on a whole lot of fun, but times are changing and we have to except this fact.

… I personally think this new generation is missing out on a whole lot of fun, but times are changing and we have to except this fact.

Our (great)grandparents probably said the same about their kids forgoing horses for those smelly, noisy automobiles. :)

Guest dwhiteside64
Our (great)grandparents probably said the same about their kids forgoing horses for those smelly, noisy automobiles. :)

:P

I was talking with some buddies the other night about this same thing. The world of narrow experiences that kids have today - it's all virtual. Then I mentioned something my grandmother and I were talking about before she died in 1979 at the age of 97. Grandma and I were talking about all of the modern advancements in technology that she had seen (at that time - 1979) because I knew at the time she was alive when the first automobile hit the road and the first airplane flew at Kitty Hawk, the advent of electricity, the telephone, and the indoor toilet. But she had also been alive to see the first man walk on the moon and had been exposed to the word processor that we had because I'd type letters to her rather than make her try to read my handwriting. I then asked here what she thought the "greatest innovation" of her time was and she told me "screens for the windows; no more flies in the house." I guess everything is relative.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I took this shot while getting gas last night... I'm hoping this is a sign kids are embracing the hobby.

Sorry so late, I wanted to participate when this was first posted & it slipped thru the cracks.

I also have a young boy (11) & he is back & forth on his interest with cars. My plan is to keep pushing it on him whether he likes it or not. My house my rules right lol (is that wrong) if he doesn't like homework do we just give up, throw up our hands, turn our backs & walk away?? Not me...

When my son comes of age I am sticking to the old homage of a young mans first car should NOT be a new car (or even anything close). Hopefully by then he has grasped the concept & learned from being in the garage with me. The first Transformers movie had a scene that I could totally relate to. The kids dad bought him the old Camaro that smoked like a locomotive & the mom barked "you are so cheat" the father replied with "what? that's how its suppose to be" I agree. Maybe not something smoking that bad lol but lets buy our kids something they can learn on...

I've seen the video for that one and as of that time, a month ago???, the '65 unit used only two bulbs and they alternated, they weren't sequential. They looked like the lights at a railroad crossing. Actually kind of confusing.

X2

I'm 50 too Pete and I feel your pain. I see a slow decay of the John Wayne macho American male persona and I find it very sad indeed...:(

X2...what would John Wayne think of skinny jeans, texting & video games...no, not very macho.

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

I was talking with some buddies the other night about this same thing. The world of narrow experiences that kids have today - it's all virtual. Then I mentioned something my grandmother and I were talking about before she died in 1979 at the age of 97. Grandma and I were talking about all of the modern advancements in technology that she had seen (at that time - 1979) because I knew at the time she was alive when the first automobile hit the road and the first airplane flew at Kitty Hawk, the advent of electricity, the telephone, and the indoor toilet. But she had also been alive to see the first man walk on the moon and had been exposed to the word processor that we had because I'd type letters to her rather than make her try to read my handwriting. I then asked here what she thought the "greatest innovation" of her time was and she told me "screens for the windows; no more flies in the house." I guess everything is relative.

Ed

VERY cool story!

arnulfo

• 2 years later...

I am intentionally reviving this old thread.

I wanted to share an experience I had at a Rod Run here in CA over the past weekend.  I am 38 years old and have been into cars since I was able to drive.  I've been to shows of all sorts and I used to show my car at events.  One thing I always made a point of doing was to engage the crowd.  If there was someone looking at my car, I'd ask him if I could answer any questions they might have.

Too many times this past weekend, I noticed that the enthusiast that brought their cars were too involved in talking among themselves or their fellow "club" members than actually taking the time to expose a potentially new audience to the car scene.  It's very unfortunate.  Perhaps they aren't trying to bring more people into the fold.  I hope that isn't the case.

I had a great conversation with one gentleman but only after I started the conversation.  Otherwise, he would have stayed sitting in his chair people watching.

So as a car guy, I feel it's my job to interact with the ones that show a great interest.  It should not be the other way around.  I know we are all unique personalities but I don't think we should let this culture fade away if we can do something about it.

Thank you.

Chris

Edited by first64riv
Apparently english isn't my first language... (see edit history)
  • Like 1

OTOH, a lot of guys who take their cars to shows do it to show off to the other car guys.  They couldn't care less if the crowd was there at all; it's all about them.

And for a less harsh perspective, people do tend to gravitate towards others who share a common interest.  In some respect, it's only normal that you'd spend more time talking to a guy who's familiar with the subject than a person who has limited or no knowledge.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

OTOH, a lot of guys who take their cars to shows do it to show off to the other car guys.  They couldn't care less if the crowd was there at all; it's all about them.

And for a less harsh perspective, people do tend to gravitate towards others who share a common interest.  In some respect, it's only normal that you'd spend more time talking to a guy who's familiar with the subject than a person who has limited or no knowledge.

when I was 19 I bought my 63 after working for my family all through high school. Well worth the wait after I saw one at a car show when I was younger. One thing I noticed at car shows was a lot of people sitting in chairs not near their car looking at people from afar and i asked my dad what they were doing. He said they were there to show off to one another and make sure nobody breathes on their car.

I try to let others enjoy it, but drum brakes are too scary for some.

I never understood why to sit by the car and instead make my way around and mingle. I don't like to sit for long. It's awkward at times trying to relate to what is mostly an older crown but I get it done.

is 20 considered to be apart of the youth movement? Also have a friend with a 66 t bird and it always has problems. Think I understand the bad reputation now.

Was they guy in the original post the driver? Looks like he found a convenient chair while he was txting, hehe.

I purchased my first car (65 Riviera) when I was 18 (now 39) and my 10 year old daughter loves Rivieras (influences). 

These classics are being cherished, discovered, and rediscovered by all ages, tribes, and creeds!

On 8/14/2014 at 4:20 PM, Seafoam65 said:

I've never understood how Ford managed to sell so many T-birds after the Riviera came out. In 64 and 65 the 40,000 unit limit hadn't been reached for the

Riviera and they were available for sale. The Riviera was 10 times better looking, with a much higher level of trim and 10 times nicer driving, yet the T-bird sold about 65-70 thousand cars each of those two years......I'm totally baffled by this. This is not even mentioning the difference in quality between a Buick and a Ford.

Here I am with Black Betty devouring the competition, my friend's Blackbird.

IMG_4468.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 0:45 PM, first64riv said:

...One thing I always made a point of doing was to engage the crowd.  If there was someone looking at my car, I'd ask him if I could answer any questions they might have....

Too many times this past weekend, I noticed that the enthusiast that brought their cars were too involved in talking among themselves...

Thank you.

Chris

Excellent point, Chris!  I do the same thing, as I'm

active in the AACA and a regional editor for them.

First of all, shows should be located where the public

will encounter them, and preferably not hidden behind a

highway motel at the off-ramp of Exit 29A.

At one of our local shows, our AACA region had cars

on display at a factory-outlet shopping center.  Some

teen-age girls, age 13 or so, walked down the row of cars,

and I showed them the features of a Corvair they were

looking at.  Even the fact that there was no center console,

that you could get in one door and slide across to the other

side, was novel to them!  And I got the owner to open

the front hood, and there was no engine!  They were amazed.

They wouldn't have noticed those things if someone 

hadn't pointed them out.

And I always point out how affordable the hobby can be.

MANY, MANY people have seen auctions of $100,000 cars

on television and think the hobby is out of their reach.

They are simply amazed when I tell them the truth.