Marmon-Herrington ?

30DodgePanel

Here's the engine bay. I noticed it had a Chrysler DPCD stamp on the back of the radiator, don't know if that means anything...

Also a couple of tags found on the back of the engine.

I did find an old truck site that I'll post this on to see if they can tell me exactly what it is. I'd like to see that it gets in the right hands so someone can restore it.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/11648/Marmon-Herrington-trucks?PageIndex=1

post-69994-143142658361_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142658341_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Marmon began building trucks under the Marmon-Herrington name in 1932, just before the end of car production. The trucks looked the same for about 10 years, so accurately dating it would probably require a serial number.

Terry

I think this photo is of the same style of truck. If I recall it had a fifth wheel hitch on it, I'll double check on my next trip out. Thanks for posting the photos, this helps.

BTW, I believe the grill is just missing the vertical center piece, don't believe it's a Lincoln grill but it does resemble it though. I'll get better photos of the grill and radiator next time too.

One thing that is throwing me when I enlarge the side view photo of the engine, the rear tag on the side of the engine has "4-4-45", could this be a date code ?

263056d1407364134-marmon-herrington-marmon-herrington-3.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Does the engine have a maker's name on it? I guess it will be some sort of commercial unit - Hercules, Waukesha, Buda or something. I don't know what they look like. It is possible that the engine is not original. One for the truck experts. I think many trucks would have their engine replaced at least once in their life.

Dave, to my eye that brass tag looks like a rebuilders tag. I think I can make out Mains .025 Throws .02? . If the truck was built in the early 1930's she would be ready for a rebuild in 1944.

To me, that engine looks more like an early 1930's than a 1940's engine.

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

Great information guys, thanks for all the input.

It does appear to be a Hercules JXB. Good call Commodore !

HD- I believe you are correct so I'll now focus my research in the early 30's era.

Definitely need to get more/better photos and find any serial numbers now.