Lost wax casting craftsman referal needed

alsfarms

I have just a couple of smaller items that I need to have replicated in the "Lost Wax" investment type casting method. Who does a good job and hopefully at a price I can afford. Casting is costly, I know that from the many sand castings I have had created over the past several years, so I expect to pay for what I get. The parts I need are both small but I need to keep as much detail as possible.

Help me if you can.

Al

Al:

I just had a batch of carburetor linkage arms cast for some Stromberg EX-23 carbs for my Indy car project. These were made by C. A. Brown in Cranston, RI. I gave them a 2.375" long acrylic master made by stereolithography. From that they made a silicone rubber mold, a bunch of wax copies, and investment cast the parts from silicon bronze in a few weeks. The surface quality is very good and all the fine details were replicated correctly. Perhaps I even should have sanded the master part before I gave it to them, LOL. I still need to drill a few holes, mill the slots, and drill and tap for the clamp screw. The price was fair, though not cheap. I am hoping to sell a few to recover my "investment" - want some? I have the stamped and spot-welded links, as well. See www.browncasting.com. Talk to Steve.

post-47871-143142657908_thumb.png

post-47871-143142657894_thumb.jpg

post-47871-143142657901_thumb.png

I have just a couple of smaller items that I need to have replicated in the "Lost Wax" investment type casting method. Who does a good job and hopefully at a price I can afford. Casting is costly, I know that from the many sand castings I have had created over the past several years, so I expect to pay for what I get. The parts I need are both small but I need to keep as much detail as possible.

Help me if you can.

Al

Since you are already in Utah, try Intermountain Precision Castings in Lindon, Utah. Tell the owner, Mr. Larry Veenker that Mike in Colorado sent you

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest problem with castings is the 3% shrinkage that most people do not take in account for. A friend had his front door handles cast buy Bobs Buick parts then had the rear ones done by Mike Butters nbutters@eagle.ca who brings them to original size. You can see the difference in size of the handles on his car.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dwight H. Bennett

You didn't state what kind of parts you wanted duplicated? Are they technical parts or decorative parts? Are they, for example, emblems, carburetor parts, door handles, windshield frame wing nuts? Are they to be done in steel, stainless, bronze, white bronze, brass, or aluminum?

I am probably the type of person you'd need. I specialize in the preparation of the part in question, and have it cast at one of the six different full time casters I use depending on cost, time, quality, size, metal etc. Then I finish the piece with what ever appropriate finish it should have, be it polished, matt, or whatever. I also can alter pieces to accommodate for shrinkage, which generally runs about 4% to 6% depending on all the variables I have stated above.

The best casters do not do the preparation work, they won't alter pieces to accommodate for shrinkage, and will hand you a raw casting with a sprue sticking out of it for you to figure out how to go from there. I am the one who does all that, and I leave the casting part for the full time professionals.

A picture or description would be helpful in knowing a little more of what you need.

Look at: www.RarePartsForRareCars.com

I am a full time professional at small quantities of casting and fabrication and alterations of small parts for rare cars.

• 4 weeks later...