CONTROL PANEL 64 RIV ??????

Mr Riviera

Dick,

I think it's from a '64 that didn't have the power antenna or the rear defroster. All panels from '64 came with three slots. The only non-option switch was the courtesy light, for which this one is labeled. If another option was added, then a differently labeled face panel was used. IMHO this was a non-option control panel that someone used the two other existing slots, added an additional slot, and filled them with OE switches to control ?????? whatever.

Ed

My computer will allow me to double click the picture and enlarge it, then a magnifying glass appears on the screen with a + sign in it so I can make it even larger. When looking at the left, center, and right switch slots, the slots are square on the ends. The second slot from the left is rounded on the ends. There is also no counter sink for the screw holes. That second switch from the left has been added by some one using a drill to define each end of the slot then opening up the slot between the two holes. At least that's how I see it. It would be interesting to know what the other switches are used for now. Probably not a rear defroster or power antenna. Dick, do you know the car or did you just run across the picture? Just curious

Ed

Dick,

I think it's from a '64 that didn't have the power antenna or the rear defroster. All panels from '64 came with three slots. The only non-option switch was the courtesy light, for which this one is labeled. If another option was added, then a differently labeled face panel was used. IMHO this was a non-option control panel that someone used the two other existing slots, added an additional slot, and filled them with OE switches to control ?????? whatever.

Ed

Thanks Ed and Dick. I am the owner of this car. Left to right the switches are " the unknown " , the rear defogger, the courtesy lamp and the power antenna. The switch is definitely connected to something - it slides in and out form from neutral position but darned if I can tell what it does. Dick had a good suggestion of just dropping the panel down and looking. I looked at the firewall from the engine side and couldn't tell anything. Are the chrome buttons attached by a hex nut from the back? Seems like that is what I am feeling. Thanks for all your help. Kendall

There's a very small allen head screw in the back of each knob. You should be able to take our the four corner screws and drop the panel enough to see what the switches control. It's also pretty easy to remove then entire dash pad. Four screws along the bottom of the front edge. Pull it forward but be aware that the speaker is wired to the radio so you can't take it all the way off without undoing the speaker wires. I'll have to look to be sure, but I might have a panel that has the rear defroster, courtesy light, and antenna labels on it. I'll let you know what I find the next time I get into the storage.

Ed

There's a very small allen head screw in the back of each knob. You should be able to take our the four corner screws and drop the panel enough to see what the switches control. It's also pretty easy to remove then entire dash pad. Four screws along the bottom of the front edge. Pull it forward but be aware that the speaker is wired to the radio so you can't take it all the way off without undoing the speaker wires. I'll have to look to be sure, but I might have a panel that has the rear defroster, courtesy light, and antenna labels on it. I'll let you know what I find the next time I get into the storage.

Ed

Thanks very much Ed- I will try that and let you know what I find. Also would be very interested in your panel with the labels. Appreciate your expert advice. This is really fun tracking down all these issues! Also , I am looking for a 65 and 66 GS ( like a lot of folks) if you happen to know someone who is interested in selling one.

I'll have to look to be sure, but I might have a panel that has the rear defroster, courtesy light, and antenna labels on it. I'll let you know what I find the next time I get into the storage. Ed

Kendall,

I found the ones that I have. A couple of '64's but neither of them have the rear defroster labeled, and a '65. The '65 is different. The "label" for the '65 models have a small trim piece that is screwed on with the switch mounting screws. That puts the "label" under the panel instead of on the front of the panel. I have nothing more than what you already have, sorry.

Ed

Kendall,

I found the ones that I have. A couple of '64's but neither of them have the rear defroster labeled, and a '65. The '65 is different. The "label" for the '65 models have a small trim piece that is screwed on with the switch mounting screws. That puts the "label" under the panel instead of on the front of the panel. I have nothing more than what you already have, sorry.

Ed

Thanks Ed - really appreciate you trying.will continue to search . After cleaning the power unit on my cruise control, I can get it to engage but it won't hold the set speed when I let off the switch- just drifts past the setting. Not sure if it is a vacuum problem or a relay switch. Have tried adjusting the little bead chain to no avail. All my local mechanics here get wide eyed and have dazed look when I even mention my problem. If it doesn't have a computer chip, they can't fix things anymore! Thanks for all your help.

You probably first need to confirm that you have a actual cruise switch (like the ones on ebay right now). It's special so when you tap the brake the switch will disengage, and when you press it again, the cruise will resume. I imagine that's why the trouble shooting guide mentions that the problem could be in the switch. It's more than just and on / off switch like at courtesy light switch. If the switch in your car was an actual cruise switch, it couldn't be mounted where it is now. Take a look at the ones on ebay and you'll see why.

Ed